Old 29-01-2007, 12:48 AM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default Wax myrtle common myrtle

On Jan 28, 8:11 am, davholla
wrote:
mleblanca Wrote:

On Jan 27, 6:01 am, davholla
wrote:-
In the USA people have a plant called Wax Myrtle. Is that related to
(or completely different
from ) common Myrtle (Myrtle Communis) which we grow in the UK ?

--
davholla-

They are different, in completely different Families.
Wax Myrtle, genus Myrica, Family Myricaceae
Common Myrtle, genus Myrtus, Family Myrtaceae

Common Myrtle is a commonly grown plant in California.
Emilie
NorCalThanks for that can either of the two american types be bought in the

UK ?

--
davholla

That I don't know. But I would think that you could find one of those
species
mentioned by told2b. Many native California plants are happy in the UK
(Fremontia, Ceanothus, CA Poppies) so maybe the Wax Myrtle is also.
Hope you can find one of them.
mle