Old 27-01-2007, 02:01 PM
Registered User

Default Wax myrtle common myrtle

In the USA people have a plant called Wax Myrtle. Is that related to (or completely different
from ) common Myrtle (Myrtle Communis) which we grow in the UK ?
Old 27-01-2007, 08:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

--
davholla

Wax Myrtle (Myrica cerifera) is grown in Southern US and
Northern Bayberry (Myrica pensylvanica) is grown in Northern US.
HTH

Old 28-01-2007, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jan 27, 12:19 pm, "told2b" wrote:
On Jan 27, 9:01?am, davholla
wrote:

In the USA people have a plant called Wax Myrtle. ?Is that related to
(or completely different
from ) common Myrtle (Myrtle Communis) which we grow in the UK ?

--
davhollaWax Myrtle (Myrica cerifera) is grown in Southern US and

Northern Bayberry (Myrica pensylvanica) is grown in Northern US.
HTH

There is also a Pacific Wax Myrtle, Myrica californica.

Emilie, NorCal

Old 28-01-2007, 01:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jan 27, 6:01 am, davholla
wrote:
In the USA people have a plant called Wax Myrtle. Is that related to
(or completely different
from ) common Myrtle (Myrtle Communis) which we grow in the UK ?

--
davholla

They are different, in completely different Families.
Wax Myrtle, genus Myrica, Family Myricaceae
Common Myrtle, genus Myrtus, Family Myrtaceae

Common Myrtle is a commonly grown plant in California.
Emilie
NorCal

Old 28-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanca
On Jan 27, 6:01 am, davholla
wrote:
In the USA people have a plant called Wax Myrtle. Is that related to
(or completely different
from ) common Myrtle (Myrtle Communis) which we grow in the UK ?

--
davholla

They are different, in completely different Families.
Wax Myrtle, genus Myrica, Family Myricaceae
Common Myrtle, genus Myrtus, Family Myrtaceae

Common Myrtle is a commonly grown plant in California.
Emilie
NorCal
Thanks for that can either of the two american types be bought in the UK ?

Old 28-01-2007, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

These are some of the 'types' that are common in America:
Myrica californica; Myrica cerifera; Myrica gale; Myrica hartwegii;
Myrica heterophylla; Myrica inodora; Myrica pensylvanica. If you do a
search, you will find some(all) of them in the UK.

On Jan 28, 11:11?am, davholla
wrote:
mleblanca Wrote:

Thanks for that can either of the two american types be bought in the
UK ?

--
davholla- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Old 29-01-2007, 12:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jan 28, 8:11 am, davholla
wrote:
mleblanca Wrote:

On Jan 27, 6:01 am, davholla
wrote:-
In the USA people have a plant called Wax Myrtle. Is that related to
(or completely different
from ) common Myrtle (Myrtle Communis) which we grow in the UK ?

--
davholla-

They are different, in completely different Families.
Wax Myrtle, genus Myrica, Family Myricaceae
Common Myrtle, genus Myrtus, Family Myrtaceae

Common Myrtle is a commonly grown plant in California.
Emilie
NorCalThanks for that can either of the two american types be bought in the

UK ?

--
davholla

That I don't know. But I would think that you could find one of those
species
mentioned by told2b. Many native California plants are happy in the UK
(Fremontia, Ceanothus, CA Poppies) so maybe the Wax Myrtle is also.
Hope you can find one of them.
mle

[IMG] code is On

How common is Common Bistort? PeterGreenMan United Kingdom 10 25-05-2009 08:51 PM
Damaged wax myrtle robv60 Gardening 1 24-09-2005 07:37 PM
Planting Wax Myrtle John Stephenson North Carolina 0 24-09-2003 05:42 PM
Shading a wax myrtle Terry Horton Texas 2 29-08-2003 02:22 PM
removing wax from rose plants?? Mick709 Gardening 5 10-04-2003 04:08 PM