Old 29-01-2007, 04:44 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
hollenback hollenback is offline

Default Bamboo: Your experience Good/Bad

"Buster Chops" wrote in message
I am interested in privacy screening other than fencing. I've been told
bamboo is pretty good .. fast growing, hardy and nice foliage. What's your
experience with bamboo. I di know it can grow fast ... and spreads.

What zone are you in? In warmer areas you can plant tropical clumpers or
clumpers from South America. In colder areas there are a number of mountain
clumpers that will only expand a few inches a year. The climate also affects
how fast the different runners will grow.
If you do decide on a runner you can put in a rhizome barrier on your
neighbors side of the screen and rhizome prune on your side of the screen to
keep it contained. Most of the runners have rhizomes less than a foot deep
so it is not hard to do, but you have to remember to do it and not wait
until it has grown under your yard and then try to contain it.

For more information on bamboo check out the American Bamboo Society website
at www.americanbamboo.org or the website www.bambooweb.info .

Bill