Old 27-01-2007, 06:29 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Bamboo: Your experience Good/Bad

I am interested in privacy screening other than fencing. I've been told
bamboo is pretty good .. fast growing, hardy and nice foliage. What's your
experience with bamboo. I di know it can grow fast ... and spreads.

Old 27-01-2007, 09:30 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Some varieties are totally invasive and cannot be removed. Check with
your local government because these can be illegal to plant.

Old 28-01-2007, 03:26 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Buster Chops said:

I am interested in privacy screening other than fencing. I've been told
bamboo is pretty good .. fast growing, hardy and nice foliage. What's your
experience with bamboo. I di know it can grow fast ... and spreads.

Psuedosasa japonica. Plant it every 5 feet, and in 4 years you'll have a
screen. =)

--

Eggs

-Bills travel through the mail at twice the speed of checks.
Old 28-01-2007, 08:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Hard to get rid of, if you change your mind in a few years or so. Some call
it an ambitious and stubborn weed. Isolate the growing area with a
perimeter boundary, keep an eye on it so it don't go where its not wanted.
--
Jonny

Old 29-01-2007, 04:44 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Buster Chops" wrote in message
I am interested in privacy screening other than fencing. I've been told
bamboo is pretty good .. fast growing, hardy and nice foliage. What's your
experience with bamboo. I di know it can grow fast ... and spreads.

What zone are you in? In warmer areas you can plant tropical clumpers or
clumpers from South America. In colder areas there are a number of mountain
clumpers that will only expand a few inches a year. The climate also affects
how fast the different runners will grow.
If you do decide on a runner you can put in a rhizome barrier on your
neighbors side of the screen and rhizome prune on your side of the screen to
keep it contained. Most of the runners have rhizomes less than a foot deep
so it is not hard to do, but you have to remember to do it and not wait
until it has grown under your yard and then try to contain it.

For more information on bamboo check out the American Bamboo Society website
at www.americanbamboo.org or the website www.bambooweb.info .

Bill

Old 29-01-2007, 09:26 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Chops
I am interested in privacy screening other than fencing. I've been told bamboo is pretty good .. fast growing, hardy and nice foliage. What's your
experience with bamboo. I di know it can grow fast ... and spreads.
Rosaceae - your experience, good or bad? There is a big difference between a blackberry and an apple tree and so it is with bamboo.
A plant that grows fast and stops at just the size you want has yet to be invented, and so it is with bamboo. If you want something fast, you also get a control job with it.
What happens also depends on climate. Phyllostachys nigra, black bamboo, is invasive in many areas of the US where it can be grown, because of warm summers; but in Britain it mostly stays put.
Bamboo come in a wide range of hardinesses, and cold winters will greatly reduce the range that you can grow. The hardiest cope with about -28C, and so in places like Montana, you may not be able to grow it at all.
It is wise to plant bamboo with rhizome barriers to stop it spreading.
Old 31-01-2007, 11:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jan 27, 12:29 pm, "Buster Chops" wrote:
I am interested in privacy screening other than fencing. I've been told
bamboo is pretty good .. fast growing, hardy and nice foliage. What's your
experience with bamboo. I di know it can grow fast ... and spreads.

I had it and the 2 best days were the day I got it and the day I
finally got rid of it. Grows fast and spreads are understatements.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:05 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Eric in North Texas" wrote:
On Jan 27, 12:29 pm, "Buster Chops" wrote:
I am interested in privacy screening other than fencing. I've been
told bamboo is pretty good .. fast growing, hardy and nice foliage.
What's your experience with bamboo. I di know it can grow fast ... and
spreads.

I had it and the 2 best days were the day I got it and the day I
finally got rid of it. Grows fast and spreads are understatements.

I've heard 'be careful where you plant Bamboo', and I live in Ohio.

FYI

--
http://NewsReader.Com/ 30GB/Month

Old 03-02-2007, 11:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Steveo" wrote in message

[snip]

I've heard 'be careful where you plant Bamboo', and I live in Ohio.

FYI

There are two types of bamboo -- running and clumping. Running types tend
to live in colder climates and clumping types are sometimes called
"tropical".

If you get a running bamboo it's best to put in a barrier, as some others
have discussed. No barrier is needed for a clumping bamboo, which will not
spread out agressively.

Popular running bamboos include Black Bamboo (Phy. nigra), Golden Goddess,
and Arrow Bamboo (a U.S. native).

Clumping bamboos include Giant Timber Bamboo, Buddha Belly, and others.

I have clumps of Giant Timber and Buddha Belly on the north side of my
house, where it provides a wonderful windbreak and has also become bird
habitat. I thin it about once a year to get some bamboo poles for other
work.

I also have areas with Black Bamboo and Arrow Bamboo -- the Black has a
barrier, the Arrow doesn't, but I've kept it under control by cutting off
new growth when it shows up. If you don't have a barrier around a runner
and it's in your garden or near an orchard it may be a nuisance to keep
under control.

If you plant a running bamboo and later change your mind it will be
difficult but not impossible to remove it, and then just lop off any new
culms that pop up, because the plant root is not too dense. I've moved my
Black Bamboo a couple of times until I finally found the right spot for it.

If you plant a clumping bamboo and let it stay in place for a few years it
will probably become a permanent fixture because the clump will create an
extremely dense rootball that will be difficult to get out without heavy
machinery.

Bamboo won't necessarily give you a quick screen. The saying goes, "The
first year it sleeps, the second year it creeps, the third year it leaps."
Mine is well into the leaping stage, but it provided a very effective shield
during the hurricanes of 2004-5, absorbing the wind pressure and bending but
not significantly breaking.

My source has been the Kanapaha Botanical Garden in Gainesville, FL, which
has a yearly bamboo sale. You can get more information at
http://www.kanapaha.org Regards --