Old 29-01-2007, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default compost bin

Broadback writes
wrote:
On Jan 29, 3:32 pm, "Mel" wrote:
wrote in
messagenews:1170074225.571099.198680@j27g2000cw j.googlegroups.com...

Im making an effort to recycle pretty much all my vegatitive waste but
am new to composting.Put in your postcode at this website and see
if you're eligible for a
low-cost bin: http://www.recyclenow.com/home_composting/

Hi, yes I tried that link the other week and I'm not eligible
unfortunately. Although it's not the I can't afford a bin, it's that I
don't want a massive one!

Try your water supplier, mine have offers for both water butts and
composters.

There are two things to consider

1) Compost heaps run better hot. Heat is generated by the volume of
stuff in the heap, and is lost through the surface. The ratio of volume
to surface area increases as the bin gets larger, so a bigger bin is
easier to manage

2) The compost at the bottom will be ready before the more recent stuff
at the top. Having more than one bin means you can transfer the unrotted
stuff from Bin1 to Bin2, then use Bin1 at your leisure while you
continue to fill Bin2. If you have only one bin, you have to empty it
and extract the usable compost and store it elsewhere or use it straight
away.

The ideal, then, is two or even three large bins

If you're short of space, then the choice is between two small ones or
one larger one.

In that position, I think I would go for one larger and sacrifice
convenience for easier compost production.

You will also find, particularly in summer, that you produce far more
vegetable waste than you imagined possible.
--
Kay