Old 29-01-2007, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default compost bin

Im making an effort to recycle pretty much all my vegatitive waste but
am new to composting. I've only a small garden and don't really want
to have a 220l compost bin in my garden which seems to be the standard
size. Does anyone know of any smaller bins around? I can't seem to
find them on the internet atall. I'm in the UK.

Old 29-01-2007, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mel Mel is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
Im making an effort to recycle pretty much all my vegatitive waste but
am new to composting.

Put in your postcode at this website and see if you're eligible for a
low-cost bin: http://www.recyclenow.com/home_composting/

Old 29-01-2007, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 29, 3:32 pm, "Mel" wrote:
wrote in ooglegroups.com...

Im making an effort to recycle pretty much all my vegatitive waste but
am new to composting.Put in your postcode at this website and see if you're eligible for a

low-cost bin: http://www.recyclenow.com/home_composting/

Hi, yes I tried that link the other week and I'm not eligible
unfortunately. Although it's not the I can't afford a bin, it's that I
don't want a massive one!

Old 29-01-2007, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On Jan 29, 3:32 pm, "Mel" wrote:
wrote in ooglegroups.com...

Im making an effort to recycle pretty much all my vegatitive waste but
am new to composting.Put in your postcode at this website and see if you're eligible for a

low-cost bin:
http://www.recyclenow.com/home_composting/

Hi, yes I tried that link the other week and I'm not eligible
unfortunately. Although it's not the I can't afford a bin, it's that I
don't want a massive one!

Try your water supplier, mine have offers for both water butts and
composters.
Old 29-01-2007, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jan 29, 3:32 pm, "Mel" wrote:
wrote in

ooglegroups.com...

Im making an effort to recycle pretty much all my vegatitive waste but
am new to composting.Put in your postcode at this website and see if

you're eligible for a
low-cost bin: http://www.recyclenow.com/home_composting/

Hi, yes I tried that link the other week and I'm not eligible
unfortunately. Although it's not the I can't afford a bin, it's that I
don't want a massive one!

Do you have an Ikea near you? They do this metal kitchen bi which would
work well as a small compost bin if you banged a couple of holes in the
bottom. I think it's the 54cm size I have in my kitchen right now, and I
know it would work as a compost bin in a very small garden.
http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...roductId=25688

--
Tips for Evil Cult Members:
117. Never play strip Tarot.

Old 29-01-2007, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Broadback writes
wrote:
On Jan 29, 3:32 pm, "Mel" wrote:
wrote in
messagenews:1170074225.571099.198680@j27g2000cw j.googlegroups.com...

Im making an effort to recycle pretty much all my vegatitive waste but
am new to composting.Put in your postcode at this website and see
if you're eligible for a
low-cost bin: http://www.recyclenow.com/home_composting/

Hi, yes I tried that link the other week and I'm not eligible
unfortunately. Although it's not the I can't afford a bin, it's that I
don't want a massive one!

Try your water supplier, mine have offers for both water butts and
composters.

There are two things to consider

1) Compost heaps run better hot. Heat is generated by the volume of
stuff in the heap, and is lost through the surface. The ratio of volume
to surface area increases as the bin gets larger, so a bigger bin is
easier to manage

2) The compost at the bottom will be ready before the more recent stuff
at the top. Having more than one bin means you can transfer the unrotted
stuff from Bin1 to Bin2, then use Bin1 at your leisure while you
continue to fill Bin2. If you have only one bin, you have to empty it
and extract the usable compost and store it elsewhere or use it straight
away.

The ideal, then, is two or even three large bins

If you're short of space, then the choice is between two small ones or
one larger one.

In that position, I think I would go for one larger and sacrifice
convenience for easier compost production.

You will also find, particularly in summer, that you produce far more
vegetable waste than you imagined possible.
--
Kay
Old 29-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Im making an effort to recycle pretty much all my vegatitive waste but
am new to composting. I've only a small garden and don't really want
to have a 220l compost bin in my garden which seems to be the standard
size. Does anyone know of any smaller bins around? I can't seem to
find them on the internet atall. I'm in the UK.
i know what you mean, my 330l recycle bin stands in the corner like a big black dalek lol.
i know b&q do a smaller recatngular one with a flip top lid, but that's £20 and it's probably of the size you're already talking about. maybe you could get a small wooden one?
Old 29-01-2007, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
oups.com...
Im making an effort to recycle pretty much all my vegatitive waste but
am new to composting. I've only a small garden and don't really want
to have a 220l compost bin in my garden which seems to be the standard
size. Does anyone know of any smaller bins around? I can't seem to
find them on the internet atall. I'm in the UK.

I think compost bins are the answer but if you really only have small
quantities of waste then you could construct or buy a wormery. Much slower
than composting but not difficult.
Google has loads of info.

Old 29-01-2007, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rhiannon S" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jan 29, 3:32 pm, "Mel" wrote:
wrote in

ooglegroups.com...

Im making an effort to recycle pretty much all my vegatitive

waste but
am new to composting.Put in your postcode at this website and

see if
you're eligible for a
low-cost bin: http://www.recyclenow.com/home_composting/

Hi, yes I tried that link the other week and I'm not eligible
unfortunately. Although it's not the I can't afford a bin, it's that

don't want a massive one!

Do you have an Ikea near you? They do this metal kitchen bi which

would
work well as a small compost bin if you banged a couple of holes in

the
bottom. I think it's the 54cm size I have in my kitchen right now,

and I
know it would work as a compost bin in a very small garden.

[...]

I don't think you can compost on such a small scale: surely you'd just
get a little bin full of slimy stuff. In the OP's position, of not being
able to spare the space for a conventional heap or a bin, I'd frankly
give up, or offer my plant waste to a neighbour who had more room. Some
councils do a separate green waste collection, so one can at least be
public-spirited about not making one's own compost. If not, just chuck
it away.

OT: Google Groups users, please note that one of their latest brainless
improvements is to wreck the quotations. It seems you have to insert
your own paragraph break and "horizontal caret" to display the first
line of the previous message separately from the last line of the one
before.

--
Mike.

Old 30-01-2007, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike Lyle wrote:
: "Rhiannon S" wrote in message
: ...
:: wrote in message
:: oups.com...
:::
:::
::: On Jan 29, 3:32 pm, "Mel" wrote:
:::: wrote in
:: ooglegroups.com...
::::
::::: Im making an effort to recycle pretty much all my vegatitive
::::: waste but am new to composting.Put in your postcode at this
::::: website and
: see if
:: you're eligible for a
:::: low-cost bin: http://www.recyclenow.com/home_composting/
:::
::: Hi, yes I tried that link the other week and I'm not eligible
::: unfortunately. Although it's not the I can't afford a bin, it's
::: that I don't want a massive one!
::
:: Do you have an Ikea near you? They do this metal kitchen bi which
:: would work well as a small compost bin if you banged a couple of
:: holes in the bottom. I think it's the 54cm size I have in my
:: kitchen right now, and I know it would work as a compost bin in a
:: very small garden.
: [...]
:
: I don't think you can compost on such a small scale: surely you'd just
: get a little bin full of slimy stuff. In the OP's position, of not
: being able to spare the space for a conventional heap or a bin, I'd
: frankly give up, or offer my plant waste to a neighbour who had more
: room. Some councils do a separate green waste collection, so one can
: at least be public-spirited about not making one's own compost. If
: not, just chuck it away.

You can always dig a trench or small pit and put the veg waste in and let it
rot in situ. I used to do this before I composted and always did well with
it. I'm sure it's not what experts would recommend though

Old 30-01-2007, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert" wrote in message
Mike Lyle wrote:
: "Rhiannon S" wrote in message
: ...
:: wrote in message
:: oups.com...
:::
:::
::: On Jan 29, 3:32 pm, "Mel" wrote:
:::: wrote in
:: ooglegroups.com...
::::
[...]

would a 40-50 litre outdoor plastic rubbish bin do you? I use one of those
for manure sometimes. Simply cut the bottom out. Depends on how much waste
you have but you can pick up a bin second hand real cheap.

rob

Old 31-01-2007, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29 Jan 2007 04:37:05 -0800, "
wrote:

Im making an effort to recycle pretty much all my vegatitive waste but
am new to composting. I've only a small garden and don't really want
to have a 220l compost bin in my garden which seems to be the standard
size. Does anyone know of any smaller bins around? I can't seem to
find them on the internet atall. I'm in the UK.

What I have done is get an old plastic dustbin, now succeeded by an
old slim swing-top bin; remove lid, turn upside down, cut out bottom,
so the base is wider than the top and can be easily lifted off.
It is enough formost of my kitchen waste and is assisted by
occasional doses of activator of whatever sort you have available.
The free sort is best!

Pam in Bristol
Old 02-02-2007, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 31, 11:18 pm, Pam Moore wrote:
On 29 Jan 2007 04:37:05 -0800, "

wrote:
Im making an effort to recycle pretty much all my vegatitive waste but
am new to composting. I've only a small garden and don't really want
to have a 220l compost bin in my garden which seems to be the standard
size. Does anyone know of any smaller bins around? I can't seem to
find them on the internet atall. I'm in the UK.

What I have done is get an old plastic dustbin, now succeeded by an
old slim swing-top bin; remove lid, turn upside down, cut out bottom,
so the base is wider than the top and can be easily lifted off.
It is enough formost of my kitchen waste and is assisted by
occasional doses of activator of whatever sort you have available.
The free sort is best!

Pam in Bristol

Thankyou all for your excellent suggestions. I've found a 170L compost
bin which is slightly smaller than the B&Q 200L and there is also this
which may be of interest to other people

http://www.greenfingers.com/supersto...&pf_id=LS2004D

But from what I gather there is no point in having such a small
compost bin. So I will probably plump for the 170L and try and
disguise it!
Once again, thanks for your help.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"George.com" wrote in message

"Robert" wrote in message
Mike Lyle wrote:
: "Rhiannon S" wrote in message
: ...
:: wrote in message
:: oups.com...
:::
:::
::: On Jan 29, 3:32 pm, "Mel" wrote:
:::: wrote in
:: ooglegroups.com...
::::
[...]

The short answer is, yes!

Alan

rob

Old 08-02-2007, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
news
On 29 Jan 2007 04:37:05 -0800, "
wrote:

Im making an effort to recycle pretty much all my vegatitive waste but
am new to composting. I've only a small garden and don't really want
to have a 220l compost bin in my garden which seems to be the standard
size. Does anyone know of any smaller bins around? I can't seem to
find them on the internet atall. I'm in the UK.

What I have done is get an old plastic dustbin, now succeeded by an
old slim swing-top bin; remove lid, turn upside down, cut out bottom,
so the base is wider than the top and can be easily lifted off.
It is enough formost of my kitchen waste and is assisted by
occasional doses of activator of whatever sort you have available.
The free sort is best!

I understand that the male waste is far superior to that of the female!

Alan

Pam in Bristol