Old 29-01-2007, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle Mike Lyle is offline

Default compost bin

"Rhiannon S" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jan 29, 3:32 pm, "Mel" wrote:
wrote in

ooglegroups.com...

Im making an effort to recycle pretty much all my vegatitive

waste but
am new to composting.Put in your postcode at this website and

see if
you're eligible for a
low-cost bin: http://www.recyclenow.com/home_composting/

Hi, yes I tried that link the other week and I'm not eligible
unfortunately. Although it's not the I can't afford a bin, it's that

don't want a massive one!

Do you have an Ikea near you? They do this metal kitchen bi which

would
work well as a small compost bin if you banged a couple of holes in

the
bottom. I think it's the 54cm size I have in my kitchen right now,

and I
know it would work as a compost bin in a very small garden.

[...]

I don't think you can compost on such a small scale: surely you'd just
get a little bin full of slimy stuff. In the OP's position, of not being
able to spare the space for a conventional heap or a bin, I'd frankly
give up, or offer my plant waste to a neighbour who had more room. Some
councils do a separate green waste collection, so one can at least be
public-spirited about not making one's own compost. If not, just chuck
it away.

OT: Google Groups users, please note that one of their latest brainless
improvements is to wreck the quotations. It seems you have to insert
your own paragraph break and "horizontal caret" to display the first
line of the previous message separately from the last line of the one
before.

--
Mike.