Old 30-01-2007, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert[_2_] Robert[_2_] is offline

Default compost bin

Mike Lyle wrote:
: "Rhiannon S" wrote in message
: ...
:: wrote in message
:: oups.com...
:::
:::
::: On Jan 29, 3:32 pm, "Mel" wrote:
:::: wrote in
:: ooglegroups.com...
::::
::::: Im making an effort to recycle pretty much all my vegatitive
::::: waste but am new to composting.Put in your postcode at this
::::: website and
: see if
:: you're eligible for a
:::: low-cost bin: http://www.recyclenow.com/home_composting/
:::
::: Hi, yes I tried that link the other week and I'm not eligible
::: unfortunately. Although it's not the I can't afford a bin, it's
::: that I don't want a massive one!
::
:: Do you have an Ikea near you? They do this metal kitchen bi which
:: would work well as a small compost bin if you banged a couple of
:: holes in the bottom. I think it's the 54cm size I have in my
:: kitchen right now, and I know it would work as a compost bin in a
:: very small garden.
: [...]
:
: I don't think you can compost on such a small scale: surely you'd just
: get a little bin full of slimy stuff. In the OP's position, of not
: being able to spare the space for a conventional heap or a bin, I'd
: frankly give up, or offer my plant waste to a neighbour who had more
: room. Some councils do a separate green waste collection, so one can
: at least be public-spirited about not making one's own compost. If
: not, just chuck it away.

You can always dig a trench or small pit and put the veg waste in and let it
rot in situ. I used to do this before I composted and always did well with
it. I'm sure it's not what experts would recommend though