Old 01-02-2007, 10:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jadel jadel is offline

Default Magnifying glass

On Jan 31, 7:44 pm, "Gene Schurg"
wrote:
I have a nice 4x glass that I use regularly. Today I was looking at some
orchid seed that are spread all over my greenhouse (pod exploded a couple of
weeks ago) and wanted something stronger.

Does anyone have a good quality high powered glass they would recommend?

10x is about the highest useful magnification. Your best choices
there are the Hastings triplet and the Coddington designs. I have
both. There isn't that much practical difference.

Beyond 10X the field of view is very small and depth of field
practically nil. Handheld 20X lenses are very difficult to hold
steady.

Opticsplanet.com has a large selection of magnifiers.

I have a B&L Coddington and a Hoya Hastings.

J. Del Col