Old 01-02-2007, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Salix Caprea "Kilmarnock"

On 31/1/07 22:16, in article , "Alan
Harrison" wrote:

Sacha Wrote:
On 28/1/07 14:01, in article
,
"Alan
Harrison"
wrote:
-

Hello All,

I have just joined the news group and this is my first message.

I have a Salix Caprea "Kilmarnock" which I am fond of just near the
front door. It is about six years old. It is now about 6 foot high
and about 6 foot diameter. I would like to reduce it in height and
would like guidance on the best way to do this.
-
They're grafted so I don't see how you could do that. You could prune
the
weeping stems but not the main trunk. It's probably better to see if
you
can dig it up (with a large root ball) and move it. Or cut it down and
start
again. Is it blocking access to the door or can you live with it
rather
than risk losing it?
--

Hi Sasha,
It was here when we moved in. It is not blocking the access yet but it

If you can live with it, I'd leave it and enjoy it. Or try moving it but it
will need a large hole dug first and then lifting with a huge rootball and
regular watering after re-planting. As you can see, you can't take the top
out of it without ruining it!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk