Old 25-03-2003, 11:08 AM
RichardS

Default Ailing Rosemary Officianis

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote :

What I may do in that case is to cut out the dead, repot in very
free-draining compost and see what happens.

When you repot, knock as much soil off the roots as you can, and
cut the plant back -- not *too* hard, but somewhat. Or maybe
"rather a lot". Remember it's an invalid and needs a light diet
(i.e. no fertilizer, little water) and shelter.

I didn't think that it would have been waterlogged - there was plenty of
crock in the bottom of the pot, but perhaps next time I may put crock

then
some pea-shingle and then compost.

Crocking is no substitute for having a properly free-draining
compost in the pot. Horticultural perlite might be a good choice
to open up a dense, airless compost -- I'm using it these days to
get more open and airier composts.

If your pot sits on a hard surface, it's especially important
that the compost be free-draining because there's no soil
underneath to wick away excess moisture. I've never seen mention
of this detail, but too many times I've looked into my coldframes
(on a concrete slab) and seen a thick layer of soaking wet silt
underneath the pots.

Thanks Rodger,

bag of perlite probably a useful acquisition. From what others have said,
they're happy in relatively poor compost. Any recommendations for mixes?

cheers
Richard

--
Richard Sampson