Old 23-03-2003, 05:21 PM
RichardS

Default Ailing Rosemary Officianis

I have a rosemary officianalis that is growing in a large clay pot on the
patio.

Last year it was fine - quite happy in fact. It's around 12" across by
perhaps 18" high.

However, a few of the stems have died off this lately, and the remaininng
ones are not looking too happy - the leaves become mottled with yellow
patches, which turn brown and eventually die off.

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions? Repot? Feed? Just lacking water?

I'm not entirely sure how to start reviving it....

thanks
Richard

--

Richard Sampson

can be found at olifant with the co uk thing.

Old 23-03-2003, 07:09 PM
Paul Kelly

"RichardS" wrote in message
. ..

I have a rosemary officianalis that is growing in a large clay pot on the
patio.

Last year it was fine - quite happy in fact. It's around 12" across by
perhaps 18" high.

However, a few of the stems have died off this lately, and the remaininng
ones are not looking too happy - the leaves become mottled with yellow
patches, which turn brown and eventually die off.

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions? Repot? Feed? Just lacking water?

more likely too much water!

pk

Old 23-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"RichardS" writes:

| I have a rosemary officianalis that is growing in a large clay pot on the
| patio.
|
| Last year it was fine - quite happy in fact. It's around 12" across by
| perhaps 18" high.
|
| However, a few of the stems have died off this lately, and the remaininng
| ones are not looking too happy - the leaves become mottled with yellow
| patches, which turn brown and eventually die off.
|
| Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions? Repot? Feed? Just lacking water?
|
| I'm not entirely sure how to start reviving it....

Quite possibly waterlogging during the winter. If so, I am afraid
that you can't do much for it, but make sure that the compost or
soil is very free draining next time.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 24-03-2003, 01:20 AM
no access

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"RichardS" writes:

| I have a rosemary officianalis that is growing in a large clay pot on

the
| patio.
|
| Last year it was fine - quite happy in fact. It's around 12" across by
| perhaps 18" high.
|
| However, a few of the stems have died off this lately, and the

remaininng
| ones are not looking too happy - the leaves become mottled with yellow
| patches, which turn brown and eventually die off.
|
| Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions? Repot? Feed? Just lacking water?
|
| I'm not entirely sure how to start reviving it....

Quite possibly waterlogging during the winter. If so, I am afraid
that you can't do much for it, but make sure that the compost or
soil is very free draining next time.

Hmmm, possibly not what I was hoping to find out, but thanks!

What I may do in that case is to cut out the dead, repot in very
free-draining compost and see what happens.

I didn't think that it would have been waterlogged - there was plenty of
crock in the bottom of the pot, but perhaps next time I may put crock then
some pea-shingle and then compost.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.

cheers
Richard

Old 24-03-2003, 02:08 PM
Michael Berridge

no access wrote in message 3e7e5c24$0$15320
Hmmm, possibly not what I was hoping to find out, but thanks!

What I may do in that case is to cut out the dead, repot in very
free-draining compost and see what happens.

I didn't think that it would have been waterlogged - there was plenty

of
crock in the bottom of the pot, but perhaps next time I may put crock

then
some pea-shingle and then compost.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.

Rosemary is normally classed as a short lived shrub, so perhaps it is
just getting too old, the life span may well be curtailed in a pot as
well.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 24-03-2003, 02:20 PM
Ophelia

"Michael Berridge" wrote in message

no access wrote in message 3e7e5c24$0$15320
Hmmm, possibly not what I was hoping to find out, but thanks!

What I may do in that case is to cut out the dead, repot in very
free-draining compost and see what happens.

I didn't think that it would have been waterlogged - there was plenty

of
crock in the bottom of the pot, but perhaps next time I may put crock

then
some pea-shingle and then compost.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.

Rosemary is normally classed as a short lived shrub, so perhaps it is
just getting too old, the life span may well be curtailed in a pot as
well.

Mike that surprises me. When I lived in Lincolnshire I had a lovely
rosemary hedge. It needed to be chopped once a year and then proceeded to
bush up beautifully. I have lost my rosemary every winter in Scotland and
this year I overwintered it in the cold frame in a pot. Some bits are brown
but the
rest looks ok

Ophelia

Old 24-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Ophelia" writes:
| "Michael Berridge" wrote in message
|
| Rosemary is normally classed as a short lived shrub, so perhaps it is
| just getting too old, the life span may well be curtailed in a pot as
| well.
|
| Mike that surprises me. When I lived in Lincolnshire I had a lovely
| rosemary hedge. It needed to be chopped once a year and then proceeded to
| bush up beautifully. I have lost my rosemary every winter in Scotland and
| this year I overwintered it in the cold frame in a pot. Some bits are brown
| but the rest looks ok

I can't keep mine going above about 5 years. It is very prone to
root rots etc. as it gets older, and is supposed to do a lot better
in really poor soil. I keep my rosemaries going by layering, until
I forget.

Old 24-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Martin Brown

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
"Ophelia" writes:
| "Michael Berridge" wrote in message
|
| Rosemary is normally classed as a short lived shrub, so perhaps it is
| just getting too old, the life span may well be curtailed in a pot as
| well.
|
| Mike that surprises me. When I lived in Lincolnshire I had a lovely
| rosemary hedge. It needed to be chopped once a year and then proceeded to
| bush up beautifully. I have lost my rosemary every winter in Scotland and
| this year I overwintered it in the cold frame in a pot. Some bits are brown
| but the rest looks ok

I can't keep mine going above about 5 years. It is very prone to
root rots etc. as it gets older, and is supposed to do a lot better
in really poor soil. I keep my rosemaries going by layering, until
I forget.

There is something else fungal? that invariably gets rosemary here. It attacks from
the other end. The die back starts at the growing points at the end of winter (ie
now) and leaves die quickly to brown. Leaf nodes show white mould back down the
stem. Sometimes it isn't fatal if you cut off the affected parts but it is very
destructive. It is worth watching out for - unchecked it will kill the entire
plant.

It was a very cold winter over here so it may have been weakened by the cold. And
it has been relatively dry recently so waterlogging isn't likely to be the cause of
this particular malaise.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 25-03-2003, 02:08 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 01:14:43 -0000, no access wrote:

What I may do in that case is to cut out the dead, repot in very
free-draining compost and see what happens.

When you repot, knock as much soil off the roots as you can, and
cut the plant back -- not *too* hard, but somewhat. Or maybe
"rather a lot". Remember it's an invalid and needs a light diet
(i.e. no fertilizer, little water) and shelter.

I didn't think that it would have been waterlogged - there was plenty of
crock in the bottom of the pot, but perhaps next time I may put crock then
some pea-shingle and then compost.

Crocking is no substitute for having a properly free-draining
compost in the pot. Horticultural perlite might be a good choice
to open up a dense, airless compost -- I'm using it these days to
get more open and airier composts.

If your pot sits on a hard surface, it's especially important
that the compost be free-draining because there's no soil
underneath to wick away excess moisture. I've never seen mention
of this detail, but too many times I've looked into my coldframes
(on a concrete slab) and seen a thick layer of soaking wet silt
underneath the pots.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 25-03-2003, 11:08 AM
RichardS

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote :

[...]

Thanks Rodger,

bag of perlite probably a useful acquisition. From what others have said,
they're happy in relatively poor compost. Any recommendations for mixes?

cheers
Richard

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Old 25-03-2003, 12:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"RichardS" noaccess@invalid writes:
| "Rodger Whitlock" wrote :
|
| If your pot sits on a hard surface, it's especially important
| that the compost be free-draining because there's no soil
| underneath to wick away excess moisture. I've never seen mention
| of this detail, but too many times I've looked into my coldframes
| (on a concrete slab) and seen a thick layer of soaking wet silt
| underneath the pots.
|
| bag of perlite probably a useful acquisition. From what others have said,
| they're happy in relatively poor compost. Any recommendations for mixes?

Being old-fashioned, I would use about 3/4 pea gravel, horticultural
grit or coarse sand (e.g. builder's sharp sand - dirt cheap) and the
remainder a general-purpose, potting compost. I make my own, but
my garden has good soil for that purpose, which helps.

But any such mixture should work. Don't be afraid to include
mostly 'filling', such as sand or perlite.

Old 25-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On 24 Mar 2003 14:24:02 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
"Ophelia" writes:
| "Michael Berridge" wrote in message
|
| Rosemary is normally classed as a short lived shrub, so perhaps it is
| just getting too old, the life span may well be curtailed in a pot as
| well.
|
| Mike that surprises me. When I lived in Lincolnshire I had a lovely
| rosemary hedge. It needed to be chopped once a year and then proceeded to
| bush up beautifully. I have lost my rosemary every winter in Scotland and
| this year I overwintered it in the cold frame in a pot. Some bits are brown
| but the rest looks ok

I can't keep mine going above about 5 years. It is very prone to
root rots etc. as it gets older, and is supposed to do a lot better
in really poor soil. I keep my rosemaries going by layering, until
I forget.

Mine just go from strength to strength, even though the soil is
heavyish and they don't get as much sun as I think they should. I
suspect that they enjoy the dry summers we have here. That they
are planted at the foot of the house wall, just above the
perimeter drain and beneath the overhang of the eaves, may have
quite a bit to do with their success.

Among the hardiest is the "pine-scented" rosemary, possibly cv.
'Angustifolia'.

Old 25-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Michael Berridge

Ophelia wrote in message

Mike that surprises me. When I lived in Lincolnshire I had a lovely
rosemary hedge. It needed to be chopped once a year and then proceeded

bush up beautifully. I have lost my rosemary every winter in Scotland

and
this year I overwintered it in the cold frame in a pot. Some bits are

brown
but the
rest looks ok

I must admit that my Rosemary has lasted a good number of years and has
outlived some of its cuttings, but almost everywhere I have read about
them they are described as short lived shrubs, just what is meant by
'short' is debatable.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 26-03-2003, 11:08 AM
Ophelia

Ophelia wrote in message

Mike that surprises me. When I lived in Lincolnshire I had a lovely
rosemary hedge. It needed to be chopped once a year and then proceeded

bush up beautifully. I have lost my rosemary every winter in Scotland

and
this year I overwintered it in the cold frame in a pot. Some bits are

brown
but the
rest looks ok

I must admit that my Rosemary has lasted a good number of years and has
outlived some of its cuttings, but almost everywhere I have read about
them they are described as short lived shrubs, just what is meant by
'short' is debatable.

Perhaps it depends on where it is grown. Probably too much rain and cold up
here

Ailing vanda sansai blue Geir Harris Hedemark Orchids 9 20-02-2004 11:43 PM
[IBC] Possibly Ailing Miniature Bamboo sam crowell Bonsai 4 21-11-2003 02:12 PM
Ailing Masdevallia - any hope of recovery? Ben Durbin Orchids 4 10-11-2003 12:32 PM
Ailing Croton Trevor Gardening 1 27-07-2003 07:22 AM
Ailing Phalaenopsis Allan Risk Orchids 6 04-02-2003 09:38 PM