Old 03-02-2007, 03:00 AM posted to aus.gardens
Geoff & Heather Geoff & Heather is offline

Default laying underground pipes for watering

My experience too. Standard town supply water can not get water to the
other end of a 20m "leaky: hose, unless it runs down hill - any upward slope
past about 10m and the water won't get over it. I've converted my whole
garden (including veggies to the dripper line from Bunning's - works a
treat. With battery operated solenoid as Rod mentions and after a bit of
experimentation watering becomes a breeze. For somewhere to start, I found
at this time of year because they have shallow roots and fairly high water
demand the veggies do best with 2 lots of 15min per day - 4am and 4 pm.
Longer watering wastes water as it goes too deep. When I had sprinklers, I
needed at least 30min in the morning and another 10 - 15min at night. $80 l
or more per bed with sprinklers, as opposed to about 30l with drippers.
Pea straw or sugar cane mulch also helps. Citrus trees get 1 hour per week.

Happy gardening,
Geoff

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Wily Wilde" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message i'm thinking

of doing
something similar using old pvc pipes, porous
"skin"
pipes connected to a water tank.

I'm not sure what you really mean. The porous or leaky hoses

wouldn't
be fitted directly onto a water tank surely???

No, the porous "skin" pipes that sweat water will be laid in the

flower
beds - and to water them- they simply sweat. Its not a good idea??

My experience of these is that they don't work well - one end is
always quite wet (the end nearest the water source) and the other end
is too dry.