Old 25-03-2003, 12:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Ailing Rosemary Officianis

In article ,
"RichardS" noaccess@invalid writes:
| "Rodger Whitlock" wrote :
|
| If your pot sits on a hard surface, it's especially important
| that the compost be free-draining because there's no soil
| underneath to wick away excess moisture. I've never seen mention
| of this detail, but too many times I've looked into my coldframes
| (on a concrete slab) and seen a thick layer of soaking wet silt
| underneath the pots.
|
| bag of perlite probably a useful acquisition. From what others have said,
| they're happy in relatively poor compost. Any recommendations for mixes?

Being old-fashioned, I would use about 3/4 pea gravel, horticultural
grit or coarse sand (e.g. builder's sharp sand - dirt cheap) and the
remainder a general-purpose, potting compost. I make my own, but
my garden has good soil for that purpose, which helps.

But any such mixture should work. Don't be afraid to include
mostly 'filling', such as sand or perlite.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679