Old 25-03-2003, 03:44 PM
Just Me \Koi\

Default OT - how do you catch geckos?

To quote you " I am pretending that this is a 'conservation' exercise" Well
it is not! Your story reminds me of the old tale about a bird in a gilded
cage. It is still in a cage! Deprived of it's freedom and choices.

On has to ask if the gecko is not best left alone to roam your yard as it
wishes? Putting it in an aquarium does not replicate the full breadth of
environment it would have otherwise had.

That said, they are the easiest thing to catch, as my 6-1/2 and 8 year old
daughters so do on a regular basis, but they understand the rules, do not
harm the lizards, and you must release them back to help control the insect
infestation.

Wait till they are sunning themselves in the mid morning and throw a net
over them. Or surprise them from the flank when they are sunning
themselves. All lizards are slower when their blood is still cold and as
such are not as fast in the early mornings.

Good luck.
--
_______________________________________
"Architecture is the ultimate erotic 'object'."

"Tony Sanders" wrote in message
The cats are really good at catching geckos, but they don't tend to
survive the experience :-)

Anyway, I would like to catch a few myself, and see if I can keep them
thriving in a vivarium which I have setup for them - any clues how to
go about this 'expedition'.

I am pretending that this is a 'conservation' exercise.
Tony Sanders
New Zealand/Aotearoa