Old 25-03-2003, 10:20 AM
Tony Sanders

Default OT - how do you catch geckos?

The cats are really good at catching geckos, but they don't tend to
survive the experience :-)

Anyway, I would like to catch a few myself, and see if I can keep them
thriving in a vivarium which I have setup for them - any clues how to
go about this 'expedition'.

I am pretending that this is a 'conservation' exercise.
---------------------------------
Tony Sanders
New Zealand/Aotearoa

---------------------------------
Old 25-03-2003, 03:44 PM
Just Me \Koi\

To quote you " I am pretending that this is a 'conservation' exercise" Well
it is not! Your story reminds me of the old tale about a bird in a gilded
cage. It is still in a cage! Deprived of it's freedom and choices.

On has to ask if the gecko is not best left alone to roam your yard as it
wishes? Putting it in an aquarium does not replicate the full breadth of
environment it would have otherwise had.

That said, they are the easiest thing to catch, as my 6-1/2 and 8 year old
daughters so do on a regular basis, but they understand the rules, do not
harm the lizards, and you must release them back to help control the insect
infestation.

Wait till they are sunning themselves in the mid morning and throw a net
over them. Or surprise them from the flank when they are sunning
themselves. All lizards are slower when their blood is still cold and as
such are not as fast in the early mornings.

Good luck.
--
_______________________________________
"Architecture is the ultimate erotic 'object'."

Old 25-03-2003, 03:56 PM
Just Me \Koi\

I forgot to mention that lizards have special symbolism in the history of my
culture, so I get all wound up when they are the topic of discussion. Maybe
similarly to how an Indian might react to a discussion about Cows.

I hope my borderline "holier than thou" speech did not cross the line? If
it did I offer my most sincere apology.

--
_______________________________________

Old 25-03-2003, 04:44 PM
John Rutz

Just Me \"Koi\" wrote:
I forgot to mention that lizards have special symbolism in the history of my
culture, so I get all wound up when they are the topic of discussion. Maybe
similarly to how an Indian might react to a discussion about Cows.

I hope my borderline "holier than thou" speech did not cross the line? If
it did I offer my most sincere apology.

snip--

On has to ask if the gecko is not best left alone to roam your yard as it
wishes? Putting it in an aquarium does not replicate the full breadth of
environment it would have otherwise had.

That said, they are the easiest thing to catch, as my 6-1/2 and 8 year old
daughters so do on a regular basis, but they understand the rules, do not
harm the lizards, and you must release them back to help control the

insect

infestation.

Wait till they are sunning themselves in the mid morning and throw a net
over them. Or surprise them from the flank when they are sunning
themselves. All lizards are slower when their blood is still cold and as
such are not as fast in the early mornings.

Good luck.
--

alternativly see what atracts the Gekos and build on that to atract
them to your yard/pond and watch em there.

--
John Rutz

I'm not Porg am not am not am so
see my pond at:
http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 25-03-2003, 08:32 PM

I just got thru plucking 5 geckos and 18 anoles from Jo Ann's house. brought em home
where they are getting new homes in my DH high school science club members.
they climb onto her brick. I just plucked em off. into a 20 gallon tank with an
itty bitty pond, some fake greenery, a wire cover to keep em in. they get fed
crickets. spritzed with water daily. light on top 12 hours. the are very very cool
pets.
they are smart. can only pluck so many and the rest hide when they hear you coming.
Ingrid

Old 25-03-2003, 08:44 PM
John Hines

Tony Sanders wrote:

Anyway, I would like to catch a few myself, and see if I can keep them
thriving in a vivarium which I have setup for them - any clues how to
go about this 'expedition'.

How smart are they? A maze of walls that is easy to get in, hard to get
out.

Old 25-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Gary Woods

"Just Me \"Koi\"" wrote:

I hope my borderline "holier than thou" speech did not cross the line? If
it did I offer my most sincere apology.

Well I wasn't offended, though there is some envy.... I'm far out of gecko
country up here!
Probably U.S. specific; I was going to suggest catching them by offering
their own parking space.
(TV commercial; not worth explaining further).

And my pond is still covered with ice, though not a thick layer. I should
be able to grapple and divide hardy lilies quite soon.

Old 25-03-2003, 09:20 PM
Tony Sanders

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 15:44:09 GMT, "Just Me \"Koi\""
wrote:

I forgot to mention that lizards have special symbolism in the history of my
culture, so I get all wound up when they are the topic of discussion. Maybe
similarly to how an Indian might react to a discussion about Cows.

I hope my borderline "holier than thou" speech did not cross the line? If
it did I offer my most sincere apology.

My comment about conservation was ironic :-)

I was not offended by your commentary, which reflects my general
philosophy.
---------------------------------
Tony Sanders
New Zealand/Aotearoa

---------------------------------
Old 26-03-2003, 04:08 AM
jammer

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 22:14:40 +1200, Tony Sanders
wrote:

The cats are really good at catching geckos, but they don't tend to
survive the experience :-)

Anyway, I would like to catch a few myself, and see if I can keep them
thriving in a vivarium which I have setup for them - any clues how to
go about this 'expedition'.

I am pretending that this is a 'conservation' exercise.
---------------------------------
Tony Sanders
New Zealand/Aotearoa

Why do you need to catch them? Turn the light on in the kitchen at
night and watch them eat bugs off of the window screen. Or install a
yard light and watch them that way. I love those little things around
here. I am a lizard fan. I wouldn't dream of catching them. You can't
possibly catch all their native food and make them happy and healthy
in a cage, i don't care how cool it is. I caught a baby in the sink
one winter. I kept itin a terrarium until spring.

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 26-03-2003, 09:56 PM
~ jan

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 15:34:20 GMT, "Just Me \"Koi\"" wrote:

That said, they are the easiest thing to catch, as my 6-1/2 and 8 year old
daughters so do on a regular basis,

Don't geckos bite? I use to be a sand lizard catcher in my youth, those
critters are fast and you have to be real careful else they'll leave you
just holding their tail. They don't bite, whereas while at a classroom
demonstation on lizards the local petshop guy was holding a gecko that not
only bit, but drew blood! I lose interest real fast with things that can
bite to the point of drawing blood. shiver ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 27-03-2003, 12:44 AM

house geckos got itty bitty teeth. dont puncture the skin. the ones I caught didnt
even try. yeah, bigger geckos probably could draw blood. but they dont scratch and
give you pasturella either. Ingrid