Old 01-12-2006, 10:39 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
Reka Reka is offline

Default dendrobium adae or gracilicaule?

Niek Hanckmann wrote:
I bought this one as a seedling of dend. adae. It seems to be dend.
gracilicaule. Any of the wizards of Oz that can help me out?
Greets, Niek

Niek,
Dave Gillingham is not newsgroup-able at the moment, but heard of your
question and asked me to forward this to the newsgroup:

My computer is still away, so I still have no newsgroup access. On
balance I'm fairly sure this is D. gracilicaule because of the reddish
spotting on the outside of the sepals - I've not seen this in adae, nor
have I seen it in most books with photos of adae. Though Jones's latest
tome does show a photo of adae with evidence of slight reddishness on
the outside. If Niek has any photos of a bud before opening, or from
the back of the flower showing the outside of the sepals, that could help.

Could you please send this to him since, without my 'puter, I have no
contact info for him.

Regards,
David