Old 25-11-2006, 01:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default dendrobium adae or gracilicaule?

I bought this one as a seedling of dend. adae. It seems to be dend.
gracilicaule. Any of the wizards of Oz that can help me out?
Greets, Niek

Attached Thumbnails
dendrobium adae or gracilicaule?-dendrobium-adae-cf-flower-25-11-2006-12-17-32.jpg   dendrobium adae or gracilicaule?-dendrobium-adae-cf-spike-25-11-2006-12-17-52.jpg
Old 25-11-2006, 03:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 14:50:42 +0100, Niek Hanckmann
wrote:

I bought this one as a seedling of dend. adae. It seems to be dend.
gracilicaule. Any of the wizards of Oz that can help me out?
Greets, Niek

Lovely trio Niek. I hope our Oz whizzes are available to answer your
questions. It is frustrating to have questionable tags.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids
Old 27-11-2006, 09:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Hi Niek

Have just compared growth habit and flowers with my D. adae and D.
gracilicaule. Your plant looks like gracilicaule to me.

Cheers

John

Old 01-12-2006, 10:39 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Niek Hanckmann wrote:
I bought this one as a seedling of dend. adae. It seems to be dend.
gracilicaule. Any of the wizards of Oz that can help me out?
Greets, Niek

Niek,
Dave Gillingham is not newsgroup-able at the moment, but heard of your
question and asked me to forward this to the newsgroup:

My computer is still away, so I still have no newsgroup access. On
balance I'm fairly sure this is D. gracilicaule because of the reddish
spotting on the outside of the sepals - I've not seen this in adae, nor
have I seen it in most books with photos of adae. Though Jones's latest
tome does show a photo of adae with evidence of slight reddishness on
the outside. If Niek has any photos of a bud before opening, or from
the back of the flower showing the outside of the sepals, that could help.

Could you please send this to him since, without my 'puter, I have no
contact info for him.

Regards,
David
Old 01-12-2006, 06:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Thanks David for your reaction, thanks Reka for bringing it through.
I've just uploaded three photo's of my dendrobium on photobucket. The
two that were here on abpo and one taken a day later that shows a side
view of the flower.
So if you would like to take a look and give your 'final' opinion about
it...
You'll find them he
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...e26-11-200.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...1-200612-1.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...11-200612-.jpg
Thanks in advance!

Niek

Old 02-12-2006, 01:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Niek Hanckmann wrote:
Thanks David for your reaction, thanks Reka for bringing it through.
I've just uploaded three photo's of my dendrobium on photobucket. The
two that were here on abpo and one taken a day later that shows a side
view of the flower.
So if you would like to take a look and give your 'final' opinion about
it...

Niek,

I'm 99% sure it's D. gracilicaule. Had I not seen the photo in Jones's
latest book I should have said 100%. All the D. adae I have seen or
read about are all white or all cream. Until the above book, I've never
heard of an adae with colouration on the outside of the sepals.

One final check - D. adae is sometimes called the "orange blossom
orchid" because of the beautiful perfume that is especially noticeable
on warm days. D. gracilicaule has little or no perfume.

Also - but this is only a comparative difference - the pseudobulbs of
adae are more slender and wirier than those of gracilicaule, which are
themselves still quite slender.

Regards,
Dave Gillingham
Old 02-12-2006, 10:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Thank you Dave,

The plant has a little bit of perfume, but nothing orange-like. The
outside is rather heavily spotted so I am pretty sure after what you
wrote that it can't be an adae. I'll go and change the tab tomorrow!

Greets, Niek

Reka schreef:
Niek Hanckmann wrote:
[...]

Rate This Thread: