Old 01-12-2006, 06:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
Niek Hanckmann Niek Hanckmann is offline

Default dendrobium adae or gracilicaule?

Thanks David for your reaction, thanks Reka for bringing it through.
I've just uploaded three photo's of my dendrobium on photobucket. The
two that were here on abpo and one taken a day later that shows a side
view of the flower.
So if you would like to take a look and give your 'final' opinion about
it...
You'll find them he
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...e26-11-200.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...1-200612-1.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...11-200612-.jpg
Thanks in advance!

Niek

Reka schreef:
Niek Hanckmann wrote:
I bought this one as a seedling of dend. adae. It seems to be dend.
gracilicaule. Any of the wizards of Oz that can help me out?
Greets, Niek

Niek,
Dave Gillingham is not newsgroup-able at the moment, but heard of your
question and asked me to forward this to the newsgroup:

My computer is still away, so I still have no newsgroup access. On
balance I'm fairly sure this is D. gracilicaule because of the reddish
spotting on the outside of the sepals - I've not seen this in adae, nor
have I seen it in most books with photos of adae. Though Jones's latest
tome does show a photo of adae with evidence of slight reddishness on
the outside. If Niek has any photos of a bud before opening, or from
the back of the flower showing the outside of the sepals, that could help.

Could you please send this to him since, without my 'puter, I have no
contact info for him.

Regards,
David