Old 25-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Ailing Rosemary Officianis

On 24 Mar 2003 14:24:02 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
"Ophelia" writes:
| "Michael Berridge" wrote in message
|
| Rosemary is normally classed as a short lived shrub, so perhaps it is
| just getting too old, the life span may well be curtailed in a pot as
| well.
|
| Mike that surprises me. When I lived in Lincolnshire I had a lovely
| rosemary hedge. It needed to be chopped once a year and then proceeded to
| bush up beautifully. I have lost my rosemary every winter in Scotland and
| this year I overwintered it in the cold frame in a pot. Some bits are brown
| but the rest looks ok

I can't keep mine going above about 5 years. It is very prone to
root rots etc. as it gets older, and is supposed to do a lot better
in really poor soil. I keep my rosemaries going by layering, until
I forget.

Mine just go from strength to strength, even though the soil is
heavyish and they don't get as much sun as I think they should. I
suspect that they enjoy the dry summers we have here. That they
are planted at the foot of the house wall, just above the
perimeter drain and beneath the overhang of the eaves, may have
quite a bit to do with their success.

Among the hardiest is the "pine-scented" rosemary, possibly cv.
'Angustifolia'.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada