Old 25-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Rod

Default Caterpillars and Butterflies

"Jack" wrote in message ...
This is probably a daft question, but if you use specific plants to attract
butterflies to the garden, won't the caterpillars then eat everything in
sight? Are there some caterpillars that are not good to have in the garden?
I'm thinking of cabbage white, for instance -- don't they ruin your veggies?
How do you tell the difference between "good" caterpillars and "bad" ones
(no doubt that's politically incorrect)?

Yes it is incorrect - there are no good caterpillars or bad ones. There are caterpillars feeding on things you don't
want damaging and caterpillars feeding on other plants. Just deal with them accordingly. Usually hand picking is the
easiest and most practical solution. I do this on quite a large scale and once you learn how to see the first signs of
damage it is quite quick and easy.

Rod