Old 25-03-2003, 06:32 PM
Jack

Default Caterpillars and Butterflies

This is probably a daft question, but if you use specific plants to attract
butterflies to the garden, won't the caterpillars then eat everything in
sight? Are there some caterpillars that are not good to have in the garden?
I'm thinking of cabbage white, for instance -- don't they ruin your veggies?
How do you tell the difference between "good" caterpillars and "bad" ones
(no doubt that's politically incorrect)?

Old 25-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Rod

"Jack" wrote in message ...
This is probably a daft question, but if you use specific plants to attract
butterflies to the garden, won't the caterpillars then eat everything in
sight? Are there some caterpillars that are not good to have in the garden?
I'm thinking of cabbage white, for instance -- don't they ruin your veggies?
How do you tell the difference between "good" caterpillars and "bad" ones
(no doubt that's politically incorrect)?

Yes it is incorrect - there are no good caterpillars or bad ones. There are caterpillars feeding on things you don't
want damaging and caterpillars feeding on other plants. Just deal with them accordingly. Usually hand picking is the
easiest and most practical solution. I do this on quite a large scale and once you learn how to see the first signs of
damage it is quite quick and easy.

Rod

Old 25-03-2003, 07:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Jack
writes
This is probably a daft question, but if you use specific plants to attract
butterflies to the garden, won't the caterpillars then eat everything in
sight? Are there some caterpillars that are not good to have in the garden?
I'm thinking of cabbage white, for instance -- don't they ruin your veggies?
How do you tell the difference between "good" caterpillars and "bad" ones
(no doubt that's politically incorrect)?

caterpillars tend to be pretty specific in their food plants. Cabbage
white, for example, feed on plants of the cabbage family. many of the
'pretty' ones - small tortoiseshell, peacock and the like, have
caterpillars which feed only on nettles, orange tip caterpillars feed on
lady smock.

So if you plant to attract butterflies, most of the caterpillars will
feed on things you're not fussed about. I've not noticed cabbage white
being attracted to buddleia and the like - does anyone know what the
adults are attracted to?

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Old 25-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Drakanthus

I've not noticed cabbage white
being attracted to buddleia and the like - does anyone know what the
adults are attracted to?
Kay Easton

Every single one in the country is attracted directly to my brassica patch!
There must be the insect equivalent of Air Traffic Control diverting them here!
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 25-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Jack" contains these words:

This is probably a daft question, but if you use specific plants to attract
butterflies to the garden, won't the caterpillars then eat everything in
sight? Are there some caterpillars that are not good to have in the garden?
I'm thinking of cabbage white, for instance -- don't they ruin your veggies?
How do you tell the difference between "good" caterpillars and "bad" ones
(no doubt that's politically incorrect)?

Caterpillars are very plant-specific. So while cabbage white
caterpillars eat anything cabbagey + nasturtiums, red admirals'
caterpillars feed on nettles.
Encouraging butterflies means more caterpillars, which means more
wasps and birds feeding on the caterpillars (so long as you don't poison
them all). That natural food-chain balance protects veg, far more than
it harms them. The more variety of insects and birds you attract to the
garden, the less damage you will get to plants.

Janet

Old 28-03-2003, 08:44 PM
shazzbat

"Jack" wrote in message
This is probably a daft question, but if you use specific plants to

attract
butterflies to the garden, won't the caterpillars then eat everything in
sight? Are there some caterpillars that are not good to have in the

garden?
I'm thinking of cabbage white, for instance -- don't they ruin your

veggies?
How do you tell the difference between "good" caterpillars and "bad" ones
(no doubt that's politically incorrect)?

Probably, but who cares? The good ones are the dead ones. Just like cats
really. :-)