Old 25-12-2006, 07:23 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
Dave Gillingham Dave Gillingham is offline

Default More "new" Aussie Orchids - Help please

Mal, is thar an accepted taxon? Or was that tongue in cheek? If the former,
please point me at it.

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 23:03:50 +1100, "Mal Mac" wrote:

Hi Dave,

Maybe Dockrillia teretifolia var.sulphurea

Malcolm

"Dave Gillingham" wrote in message
.. .
Mal, I'm sure you're right about Kew. I've deliberately avoided debate
about
the book - it's pretty divisive between the proponents & the opponents.
The
thing is, whether you like his taxonomies or not, it's certainly the
latest and
most complete text on Australian orchids. That's why I'm trying to
construct my
cross-reference, & running into trouble 'cause Jones gives *no* taxonomic
history information - just his new taxa, with a brief "see ..." in the
index if
you look up the older versions. But the index is far from complete, hence
my
queries here.

John has given you as much info as I could have r e Dockrillia sulphurea -
thanks, John. Problem is, just what plant was it that now has the synonym
Dockrillia sulphurea?

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 22:53:48 +1100, "Mal Mac"
wrote:

I don't think any of the new changes have been accepted by KEW.

Dockrillia sulphurea sounds like it should be Diurus sulphurea????

Is there any description of it ?????

Malcolm

"Dave Gillingham" wrote in message
I'm adding to my previous pair of:
Cadetia clausa
Dockrillia sulphurea

Jones has three species for which I can find nothing in the Australian
Plant
Name Index, & nothing in a web search. They a

Tropilis crassa
Tropilis eburna
Tropilis radiata

I'm prety sure these are simply regional variants on Dendrobium aemulum
(Jonesified as Tropilis aemula). But nowhere else can I fine listed
taxonomic
varieties of D. aemulum. The texts just say it's a variable species.

If needs be, I'll just list all species against D. aemulum in the index
cross-reference I'm compiling. But, if there are published taxonomic
listings
that match the above species I'd like to use them.

If anyone is more competent at internet searching than I, & can turn up
something, I'd be extremely grateful.
Dave Gillingham

Dave Gillingham

Dave Gillingham