Old 22-12-2006, 10:42 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default More "new" Aussie Orchids - Help please

I'm adding to my previous pair of:
Cadetia clausa
Dockrillia sulphurea

Jones has three species for which I can find nothing in the Australian Plant
Name Index, & nothing in a web search. They a

Tropilis crassa
Tropilis eburna
Tropilis radiata

I'm prety sure these are simply regional variants on Dendrobium aemulum
(Jonesified as Tropilis aemula). But nowhere else can I fine listed taxonomic
varieties of D. aemulum. The texts just say it's a variable species.

If needs be, I'll just list all species against D. aemulum in the index
cross-reference I'm compiling. But, if there are published taxonomic listings
that match the above species I'd like to use them.

If anyone is more competent at internet searching than I, & can turn up
something, I'd be extremely grateful.
Dave Gillingham
Old 22-12-2006, 03:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

It might be easier to look if the Kew database was up, it's been down for a
couple days now. With a book that new a lot of the info won't have made it
into the online databases yet. Have you asked Jones?
-danny

Old 23-12-2006, 02:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 10:27:09 -0500, "danny" wrote:

It might be easier to look if the Kew database was up, it's been down for a
couple days now. With a book that new a lot of the info won't have made it
into the online databases yet. Have you asked Jones?

Not exactly - but I've searched the Australian Plant Name Index which, as I
understand it, is maintained through the National Botanical Gardens in Canberra
where, I understand, David Jones either works or has strong professional links.

-danny

.. .

Old 23-12-2006, 11:53 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

I don't think any of the new changes have been accepted by KEW.

Dockrillia sulphurea sounds like it should be Diurus sulphurea????

Is there any description of it ?????

Malcolm

Old 23-12-2006, 12:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

This link to an abstract of an article recently published may be of
interest??

http://www.springerlink.com/content/a6715773k58xw42l/

Malcolm

Old 23-12-2006, 09:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Malcolm

Peter Adams presented his data at a recent meeting of Australian Native
Orchid Society (Victoria) focusing on the species complex Dendrobium
speciosum and made a cogent argument for not splitting into different
genera. What I found fascinating was that despite working in very similar
areas, Peter and David Jones had only met twice over the past 15 years. I
would have thought that these two researchers would be in regular contact to
discuss their findings in spite of their obvious different slant on the
subject.

Re Dockrillia sulphurea and Diuris sulphurea, the first is an epiphyte and
the second a terrestrial!

Cheers

John

Old 23-12-2006, 11:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Hi John

I know that one is a epiphyte and
the other is a terrestrial!
But I have never heard of Dockrillia sulphurea and thought Jones may have
listed a desription and or a photo of it in his new book.

Have you seen it??

Malcolm

Old 23-12-2006, 11:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Hi Malcolm

I have Jones's new book and yes it does have both a photo and description of
the species Dockrillia sulphurea.

He describes it as recognised by its "Robust habit; stems straight,
pendulous; leaves terete; flowers crowded, pale sulphur yellowish with
central reddish streaks and spots, labellum midlode broad." Distribution is
from Cape York to Pascoe River at altitudes of 5 - 150 metres. It is locally
common growing on trees and boulders in rainforest, sheltered gullies and
humid areas of open forest. Flowers are strongly scented.

The photo shows a flower which is similar to Dockrillia teretifolia but the
flower head is extremely congested, unlike D. teretifolia where the flowers
are reasonably spaced.

I would scan the photo for you but my scanner is currently playing up.

Trust this helps.

Cheers

John

Old 24-12-2006, 10:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Mal, I'm sure you're right about Kew. I've deliberately avoided debate about
the book - it's pretty divisive between the proponents & the opponents. The
thing is, whether you like his taxonomies or not, it's certainly the latest and
most complete text on Australian orchids. That's why I'm trying to construct my
cross-reference, & running into trouble 'cause Jones gives *no* taxonomic
history information - just his new taxa, with a brief "see ..." in the index if
you look up the older versions. But the index is far from complete, hence my
queries here.

John has given you as much info as I could have r e Dockrillia sulphurea -
thanks, John. Problem is, just what plant was it that now has the synonym
Dockrillia sulphurea?

Old 25-12-2006, 08:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Not that I know of !!

Just thought it was worth putting up to see what other people thought??

It seems crazy that some one would produce a book changing names and not
have a reference to the plants previous name????

Malcolm

Old 26-12-2006, 10:58 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 19:24:13 +1100, "Mal Mac" wrote:

Not that I know of !!

Just thought it was worth putting up to see what other people thought??

It seems crazy that some one would produce a book changing names and not
have a reference to the plants previous name????

How can I argue?

Malcolm

wrote:

I don't think any of the new changes have been accepted by KEW.

Dockrillia sulphurea sounds like it should be Diurus sulphurea????

Is there any description of it ?????

Malcolm

"Dave Gillingham" wrote in message
om...
[...]