Old 25-03-2003, 07:32 PM
Kay Easton

Default Caterpillars and Butterflies

In article , Jack
writes
This is probably a daft question, but if you use specific plants to attract
butterflies to the garden, won't the caterpillars then eat everything in
sight? Are there some caterpillars that are not good to have in the garden?
I'm thinking of cabbage white, for instance -- don't they ruin your veggies?
How do you tell the difference between "good" caterpillars and "bad" ones
(no doubt that's politically incorrect)?

caterpillars tend to be pretty specific in their food plants. Cabbage
white, for example, feed on plants of the cabbage family. many of the
'pretty' ones - small tortoiseshell, peacock and the like, have
caterpillars which feed only on nettles, orange tip caterpillars feed on
lady smock.

So if you plant to attract butterflies, most of the caterpillars will
feed on things you're not fussed about. I've not noticed cabbage white
being attracted to buddleia and the like - does anyone know what the
adults are attracted to?

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: