Old 07-01-2007, 07:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
Diana Kulaga Diana Kulaga is offline

Default The Warm House

Wow, look at the size of that! Between the size and *dead rat*, this won't
be on my wish list any time soon!

Diana

"John Varigos" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for the correction Eric

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
John,

It's actually Bulbophyllum phalaenopsis.

Not a baby one - a full grown one grown under cooler conditions than it
prefers. It does bloom for us, which isn't too bad, but then the
greenhouse smells like a dead rat for about a week. Thankfully the bloom
is short-lived. Other people grow it hot hot hot and humid and it gets
those glorious 6 foot leaves. See:

http://tinyurl.com/vln72

for an example of what it can do.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

"John Varigos" wrote in message
om...
Yes, Diana. I certainly packed a lot into 2 days (plus 1 day
travelling). Helped a lot that people such as Eric and Danny were
available (or at least made themselves available) the days I was in
town.

I believe the plant in the photo is a baby Bulbophyllum fletcherianum.
(Eric can confirm.)

Not one for the home hobbiest unless you have heaps of room. The leaves
can grow to around 2 meters (6 feet). See
http://www.orchidspecies.com/bulbfletcherianum.htm at Jay's web site and
http://aoki2.si.gunma-u.ac.jp/Botani...bophyllum.html
for other photos of this species.

Cheers

John

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
. ..
What a trip you had, John! What is the plant hanging near the top left
of the picture - the one with the huge leaves? It's just to the right
of the hose spool.

Diana