Old 06-01-2007, 02:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default The Warm House

Attached Thumbnails
The Warm House-warm-house-2.jpg
Old 06-01-2007, 07:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

What a trip you had, John! What is the plant hanging near the top left of
the picture - the one with the huge leaves? It's just to the right of the
hose spool.

Diana

Old 06-01-2007, 10:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Yes, Diana. I certainly packed a lot into 2 days (plus 1 day travelling).
Helped a lot that people such as Eric and Danny were available (or at least
made themselves available) the days I was in town.

I believe the plant in the photo is a baby Bulbophyllum fletcherianum. (Eric
can confirm.)

Not one for the home hobbiest unless you have heaps of room. The leaves can
grow to around 2 meters (6 feet). See
http://www.orchidspecies.com/bulbfletcherianum.htm at Jay's web site and
http://aoki2.si.gunma-u.ac.jp/Botani...bophyllum.html for
other photos of this species.

Cheers

John

. ..

Old 06-01-2007, 11:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

John,

It's actually Bulbophyllum phalaenopsis.

Not a baby one - a full grown one grown under cooler conditions than it
prefers. It does bloom for us, which isn't too bad, but then the greenhouse
smells like a dead rat for about a week. Thankfully the bloom is
short-lived. Other people grow it hot hot hot and humid and it gets those
glorious 6 foot leaves. See:

http://tinyurl.com/vln72

for an example of what it can do.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

om...

Old 08-01-2007, 06:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 15:46:37 -0800, "Eric Hunt"
wrote:
John,
It's actually Bulbophyllum phalaenopsis.
Not a baby one - a full grown one grown under cooler conditions than it
prefers. It does bloom for us, which isn't too bad, but then the greenhouse
smells like a dead rat for about a week. Thankfully the bloom is
short-lived. Other people grow it hot hot hot and humid and it gets those
glorious 6 foot leaves. See: http://tinyurl.com/vln72 for an example of what it can do.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Dead Rat? I thought this was the one that at NY Show always had
people thinking they stepped in Doggy doo. You mean it is worse than
that?

SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids
Old 08-01-2007, 03:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Sue,

Yeah, dead rat - decaying flesh. It's not a fecal-based scent. Bulbophyllum
echinolabium has a fecal-based scent - makes people check their shoes
whenever they're within smell range but haven't seen the flower to know
where the scent originates. =)

Old 08-01-2007, 05:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Danny,

My story goes the other way - we battle rats every winter. Last winter we'd
set out bait and caught one - but it died somewhere inconvient and we
smelled it for a couple weeks before the carcass was located. A month later
our B. phalaenopsis came into bloom and I immediately was like "Oh! We got
another rat! Where is it!?" and then a few hours later noticed the blooms on
the B. phalaenopsis. They're hard to see - they grow right at the base of
the pseudobulb, behind the leaves.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

news

Old 08-01-2007, 08:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Eeeeeeyeeew!

Diana

Old 09-01-2007, 09:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 07:53:12 -0800 in Eric Hunt wrote:
Sue,

Yeah, dead rat - decaying flesh. It's not a fecal-based scent. Bulbophyllum
echinolabium has a fecal-based scent - makes people check their shoes
whenever they're within smell range but haven't seen the flower to know
where the scent originates. =)

Ah, thanks for the warning.
Picked one of those up from C&H in December as incentive to not dally on
getting the greenhouse reassembled. I just saw that it was odorous,
but don't remember the specifics...

--
Chris Dukes
elfick willg: you can't use dell to beat people, it wouldn't stand up

Rate This Thread: