Old 05-02-2007, 07:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dick Adams Dick Adams is offline

Default Ericaceous Compost (was Strawberry barrel)

R M. Watkin wrote:
"Dick Adams" wrote:
davholla wrote:

I have got a strawberry barrel but unfortunately the instructions
have got damaged. What should I fill it with? A compost and grit
mix? I have ericareous and normal compost what is best?

The answer is 'normal compost'.

I have never read or heard the word "ericareous" before.
Please take a moment to explain it.

Ericareous compost is for acid loving plants, such as
blueberries e. t. c.

I searched the web looking for 'ericareous' only to learn
that the woed is 'ericaceous'. Even more of a downer is
that it refers to a family of plants which include azaleas,
blueberries, and huckleberries. I was hoping to find a
specific compost mixture.

So what is the difference between compost used for acid
loving plants and 'normal' compost?

Dick