Old 03-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Registered User

Default Japanese wineberry

Has anyone grown Japanese wineberry ?
Old 04-02-2007, 04:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Strawberry barrel

davholla wrote:

I have got a strawberry barrel but unfortunately the instructions
have got damaged. What should I fill it with? A compost and grit
mix? I have ericareous and normal compost what is best?

It's been at least 20 years since I helped build a strawberry barrel
and don't recall there any trick to filling it. We used black dirt
and manure on top of a 1" (25mm) bed of gravel. You should cut and
perforate a length of PVC pipe to put upright in the center of the
barrel for watering. The pipe should at least 2" (50mm) in diameter
and be cut to at least 1" (25mm) above the soil level. The
perforations I drilled were 1/8" (3mm) and 4 holes per inch. The
pipe was then filled with gravel.

I have never read or heard the word "ericareous" before.
Please take a moment to explain it.

BTW I live in London, UK and our tap water is quite hard.

The barrel I helped build was in Chicago which gets colder
than a mother-in-law's heart and was moved into a moderately
heated garage to protect it from January nights at -20C to
-30C (that's not a typo). My father moved it with a tractor.
But I have no idea of how cold a winter night in London can be.

As for the tap water: as long as it is outside, rain water
should be ok unless you have severe taxic rain.

Dick

Old 04-02-2007, 04:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 20:57:01 +0000, davholla
wrote:

I have got a strawberry barrel but unfortunately the instructions have
got damaged. What should I fill it with ? A compost and grit mix ?
I have ericareous and normal compost what is best ?

BTW I live in London, UK and our tap water is quite hard.

This is a pretty detailed article.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/orga...awberry_Barrel

Penelope
- "pointed"
Old 05-02-2007, 11:18 AM
Registered User

It is compost you use for lime hating plants eg blueberries, rhodedrons etc.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Ericaceous Compost (was Strawberry barrel)

R M. Watkin wrote:
"Dick Adams" wrote:
davholla wrote:

I have got a strawberry barrel but unfortunately the instructions
have got damaged. What should I fill it with? A compost and grit
mix? I have ericareous and normal compost what is best?

The answer is 'normal compost'.

I have never read or heard the word "ericareous" before.
Please take a moment to explain it.

Ericareous compost is for acid loving plants, such as
blueberries e. t. c.

I searched the web looking for 'ericareous' only to learn
that the woed is 'ericaceous'. Even more of a downer is
that it refers to a family of plants which include azaleas,
blueberries, and huckleberries. I was hoping to find a
specific compost mixture.

So what is the difference between compost used for acid
loving plants and 'normal' compost?

Dick
Old 05-02-2007, 09:09 PM
Registered User

To be honest I am not sure. I just know for acid loving plants use this.
I think it just does not have Calcium salts in it.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Janet Baraclough wrote:
Dick Adams ) wrote:

So what is the difference between compost used for acid
loving plants and 'normal' compost?

There's no lime/chalk added to ericaceous compost, and it
usually contains some peat.

I add neither lime nor chalk to my compost and can't imagine
anyone adding either. Does that make my compost 'all purpose'?

Dick