Old 05-02-2007, 05:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
wendy7 wendy7 is offline

Default Dendrobium Ursula x Neo-Hawaii

Thanks for the lesson too Dave re Spatulata & antelope lateral sepals.

--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

Dave Gillingham wrote:
On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 10:29:29 -0700, SuE wrote:

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 21:47:13 +1000, Dave Gillingham
wrote:

Can't claim much credit for this - only bought it a couple of weeks
ago.
The tag says Ursula x Neo-Hawaii. Seems to me that makes it 50%
lineale, 25% discolor & 25% phalaenopsis. Given the appearance of
the blooms, I'm not sure I believe the tag. But I love it just the
same.
Dave Gillingham

Love this style and shape. It is to die for.

Is there a difference in the forms of lineale?
I have Ursula's lineale listed as veratifolium, and Neo-Hawaii's
lineale as Den grantii. And the discolor was known as undulatum when
it was registered.
I just wondered if they were the differences? Any chance there was
another plant known for a while as one of these misnomers?
SuE

Sue, D. lineale seems to be a very variable species. I've attached 3
pics scanned from Lavarack, Harris & Stocker, and from a fairly new
book "Spatulata Orchids of Papua New Guinea" published by the Orchid
Society of Papua New Guinea. None of them would provide the
colouration of my plant, nor the very tall antelope lateral sepals.
Seems more like antennatum or tangerinum in shape, but colouration
similar to at least one photo I've seen of helix.
Dave Gillingham