Old 06-02-2007, 09:11 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
Dave Gillingham Dave Gillingham is offline

Default Dendrobium Ursula x Neo-Hawaii

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 10:29:29 -0700, SuE wrote:

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 21:47:13 +1000, Dave Gillingham
wrote:

Can't claim much credit for this - only bought it a couple of weeks ago.
The tag says Ursula x Neo-Hawaii. Seems to me that makes it 50% lineale, 25%
discolor & 25% phalaenopsis. Given the appearance of the blooms, I'm not sure I
believe the tag. But I love it just the same.
Dave Gillingham

Love this style and shape. It is to die for.

Is there a difference in the forms of lineale?
I have Ursula's lineale listed as veratifolium, and Neo-Hawaii's
lineale as Den grantii. And the discolor was known as undulatum when
it was registered.
I just wondered if they were the differences? Any chance there was
another plant known for a while as one of these misnomers?
SuE

Oops! I got carried away with the lineale bit, & overlooked the rest :-(

Not sure about the rest of your queries, Sue. But discolor doesn't have the
tall lateral sepals, though it's still from Section Spatulata. Its colouring is
anything from chocolate through tan, to canary yellow in var, broomfieldii that
Diana mentioned below. And as you probably know, phalaenopsis is usually mauve,
with a very rounded shape.
Dave Gillingham