Old 06-02-2007, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_1_] Rod[_1_] is offline

Default Tree stump advice

"Kevin" wrote in message
Two years ago I felled two large Leylandii trees - the stumps, 18
inches in diameter, remain. They are a few inches out of the ground
and attempts to kill them with crystals added between the trunk and
bark do not appear to have been successful.

You have regrowth from felled Leylandii?.............That's most
unusual. With stumps of that size I normally use a chainsaw to make
lots of grooves all over the top of the stump, especially some good
deep ones just inside from the bark and fill them with Ammonium
Sulphamate crystals (Root-out) Staple an old compost bag over it to
stop the chemical washing off.
NB. Using just the tip of the chainsaw - if you've not been properly
trained, do this with great caution, there is an increased risk of the
saw kicking back at you.
BTW there are stump grinders available designed to fit through narrow
gates and doorways.
--
Rod

My real address is rodthegardeneratmyisp