Old 05-02-2007, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tree stump advice

I want to landscape the final area of my garden previously covered in bark
chippings.

Two years ago I felled two large Leylandii trees - the stumps, 18 inches in
diameter, remain. They are a few inches out of the ground and attempts to
kill them with crystals added between the trunk and bark do not appear to
have been successful.

I want to lawn the area and plant apple trees.

Will they survive/grow?

How can I remove the stumps? There is no room/access for one of those fancy
stump removers.

Any advice would be appreciated please?

Old 05-02-2007, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 18:05:42 -0000, Kevin wrote:

How can I remove the stumps?

Spade, axe, rope and dig 'em out. Might take all day to do both and
you'll have two quite hefty lumps of wood to deal with but perfectly
doable. I donno if the roots left behind will send up anything.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 06-02-2007, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Kevin

Unless you hire some one with a stump grinder, digging out is on the
cards

What where the crystals you applied?

Bearing in mind that the Leylandii had grown well, it extracted some
of the nutrients value from the soil. My suggestion would be to
improve the soil. Try not to add something that has too much nitrogen
as the effect of this will be vegetatative growth. Whilst you mich
appreciate that for a large tree, if you are growing the apples as
bush trees, you will be doing a lot of pruning in the formative
years. Add something that will add body to the soil like home made
garden compost.

Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Old 06-02-2007, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kevin" wrote in message
Two years ago I felled two large Leylandii trees - the stumps, 18
inches in diameter, remain. They are a few inches out of the ground
and attempts to kill them with crystals added between the trunk and
bark do not appear to have been successful.

You have regrowth from felled Leylandii?.............That's most
unusual. With stumps of that size I normally use a chainsaw to make
lots of grooves all over the top of the stump, especially some good
deep ones just inside from the bark and fill them with Ammonium
Sulphamate crystals (Root-out) Staple an old compost bag over it to
stop the chemical washing off.
NB. Using just the tip of the chainsaw - if you've not been properly
trained, do this with great caution, there is an increased risk of the
saw kicking back at you.
BTW there are stump grinders available designed to fit through narrow
gates and doorways.
--
Rod

My real address is rodthegardeneratmyisp

Old 08-02-2007, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 18:05:42 -0000, Kevin wrote:

How can I remove the stumps?

I removed several stumps prior to turfing (one was some 18 inches dia) by
using my electric chainsaw as a stump grinder. Firstly I cleared the soil
from around the stump, cut them off as low as possible, then I clamped a
large "G" clamp onto the tip of the bar and used it as a second handle to
help hold the saw flat across the top of the stumps. It almost ruined the
chain (but it was 90% worn when I started) but by working the chainsaw back
and forth and round and round I reduced the stumps below ground level enough
to cover with soil and turf. One has sent up some shoots but the mower takes
care of them and I guess it will give up in time.

Mike

Apple Tree Stump Remonal Pete United Kingdom 8 30-09-2008 03:17 AM
Tree Stump Removal Alan Smith United Kingdom 8 29-09-2008 08:32 PM
Tree stump advice Kevin Gardening 15 10-02-2007 05:41 PM
tree stump removal Giggles Gardening 6 30-09-2003 04:02 AM
tree stump Kumar Varadan Gardening 1 17-04-2003 06:08 PM