Old 08-02-2007, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Muddymike Muddymike is offline

Default Tree stump advice

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 18:05:42 -0000, Kevin wrote:

How can I remove the stumps?

I removed several stumps prior to turfing (one was some 18 inches dia) by
using my electric chainsaw as a stump grinder. Firstly I cleared the soil
from around the stump, cut them off as low as possible, then I clamped a
large "G" clamp onto the tip of the bar and used it as a second handle to
help hold the saw flat across the top of the stumps. It almost ruined the
chain (but it was 90% worn when I started) but by working the chainsaw back
and forth and round and round I reduced the stumps below ground level enough
to cover with soil and turf. One has sent up some shoots but the mower takes
care of them and I guess it will give up in time.

Mike