Old 09-02-2007, 05:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Jeffrey L. Kline Jeffrey L. Kline is offline

Default Grafted Vs Own-Root Toughness. Now the Fight is on!

It's been very cold here in Michigan for the passed couple of weeks, Often
25 below Fahrenheit with wind chill. I've provided my roses with the typical
protection for this area (a covering of compost around the base) and put up
a bit of a wind screen. Most years this is all we need, and my loss rate
has been low (2% to 5% of my population, or 2 to 10 roses). Of those, I
usually lose a few more grafted plants than own-root, but it's not
consistent. (I currently have about 60/40 split of own-root to graft.)

This year should be the test. The lows this year have been more like zone
4a rather than 5b. (Actually, in the Detroit area, we are often more like
6a or 6b). I'm going to keep a close eye on who takes a bigger hit.

Of course, the big argument is, who's tougher, own-root or graft? J and P
and other mass-production suppliers will clam they graft to improve
hardiness, although I wonder if it's really just to bring them to market
faster. (Own-root takes about three years to a grade 1, grafted are about 2
years).

Own-rooter's say this type tolerates die-back better as there is no change
of "getting Huey'd". (Dr. Huey is a very common graft stock for roses, and
when they go wild, that's what we get!) Of course, own-root is much easier
to do, especially in small product operations.

So now the fight is on. Who will prove to be the hardier? Stay tuned, this
should be good.

Best regards,

Jeff Southeast Michigan, Zone 5 (or at least we used to be)