Old 09-02-2007, 07:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran Gail Futoran is offline

Default Grafted Vs Own-Root Toughness. Now the Fight is on!

"Jeffrey L. Kline" wrote in message
It's been very cold here in Michigan for the passed couple of weeks,
Often 25 below Fahrenheit with wind chill. I've provided my roses
with the typical protection for this area (a covering of compost
around the base) and put up a bit of a wind screen. Most years this
is all we need, and my loss rate has been low (2% to 5% of my
population, or 2 to 10 roses). Of those, I usually lose a few more
grafted plants than own-root, but it's not consistent. (I
currently have about 60/40 split of own-root to graft.)

This year should be the test. The lows this year have been more
like zone 4a rather than 5b. (Actually, in the Detroit area, we are
often more like 6a or 6b). I'm going to keep a close eye on who
takes a bigger hit.

Of course, the big argument is, who's tougher, own-root or graft? J
and P and other mass-production suppliers will clam they graft to
improve hardiness, although I wonder if it's really just to bring
them to market faster. (Own-root takes about three years to a grade
1, grafted are about 2 years).

Own-rooter's say this type tolerates die-back better as there is no
change of "getting Huey'd". (Dr. Huey is a very common graft stock
for roses, and when they go wild, that's what we get!) Of course,
own-root is much easier to do, especially in small product
operations.

So now the fight is on. Who will prove to be the hardier? Stay
tuned, this should be good.

Best regards,

Jeff Southeast Michigan, Zone 5 (or at least we used to be)

I look forward to your report. I have
both kinds but haven't noticed any
trend for hardiness. Usually when I
bought own roots it was because that
was how the particular variety was
made available.

Early in my rose gardening experience
I lost a number of grafted roses, one
batch to a late winter freeze, another
batch to excessive summer heat &
drought (when I didn't know to water
every other day!). But at that time I was
only buying grafted roses, minis and
old garden roses excluded, of course.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA