Old 09-02-2007, 08:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
Walter R. Walter R. is offline

Default Does fertilizer lose effectiveness?

I live in Southern California. In anticipation of promised rain, I applied
400 lbs of fertilizer (15-15-15 granules) to the iceplant and shrubs on my 1
acre lot.

The rains did not materialize and there is no rain in sight for the next 2
weeks. Now the fertilizer granules sit on top of the ground. Do the granules
release the nitrogen into the air without exposure to rain? Like
sublimation?

IOW, should I re-apply the fertilizer if and when it looks like rain gain?
For how long is the fertilizer good if left on top of the ground,

--
Walter
www.rationality.net