Old 08-02-2007, 09:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Does fertilizer lose effectiveness?

"Walter R." wrote in message
I live in Southern California. In anticipation of promised rain, I applied
400 lbs of fertilizer (15-15-15 granules) to the iceplant and shrubs on my

1
acre lot.

The rains did not materialize and there is no rain in sight for the next 2
weeks. Now the fertilizer granules sit on top of the ground. Do the

granules
release the nitrogen into the air without exposure to rain? Like
sublimation?

I am not sure however it will likely lose its flavour if left on the bed
post overnight.

rob

Old 09-02-2007, 08:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

I live in Southern California. In anticipation of promised rain, I applied
400 lbs of fertilizer (15-15-15 granules) to the iceplant and shrubs on my 1
acre lot.

The rains did not materialize and there is no rain in sight for the next 2
weeks. Now the fertilizer granules sit on top of the ground. Do the granules
release the nitrogen into the air without exposure to rain? Like
sublimation?

IOW, should I re-apply the fertilizer if and when it looks like rain gain?
For how long is the fertilizer good if left on top of the ground,

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Old 09-02-2007, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 9, 3:10 pm, "Walter R." wrote:
I live in Southern California. In anticipation of promised rain, I applied
400 lbs of fertilizer (15-15-15 granules) to the iceplant and shrubs on my 1
acre lot.

The rains did not materialize and there is no rain in sight for the next 2
weeks. Now the fertilizer granules sit on top of the ground. Do the granules
release the nitrogen into the air without exposure to rain? Like
sublimation?

IOW, should I re-apply the fertilizer if and when it looks like rain gain?
For how long is the fertilizer good if left on top of the ground,

--
Walterwww.rationality.net
-

Don't know, but speaking as a chemist, inorganic salts (K and P)
should not sublime.
Organic nitrogen like urea might.
Sounds like you used a lot of fertilizer to me.

Frank

Old 09-02-2007, 11:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Walter R." wrote in message
I live in Southern California. In anticipation of promised rain, I applied
400 lbs of fertilizer (15-15-15 granules) to the iceplant and shrubs on my
1 acre lot.

The rains did not materialize and there is no rain in sight for the next 2
weeks. Now the fertilizer granules sit on top of the ground. Do the
granules release the nitrogen into the air without exposure to rain? Like
sublimation?

IOW, should I re-apply the fertilizer if and when it looks like rain gain?
For how long is the fertilizer good if left on top of the ground,

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

400 lbs? What is the square footage of the actual garden beds?

Old 10-02-2007, 12:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

There are no garden beds. It's like an informal park, with grass, trees,
weeds, shrubs (lots of junipers) and iceplant. Plus an orange grove of 10
trees.

Does 400 lb sound like too much? Maybe I can save some money. The stuff is
growing voluptuously.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Old 10-02-2007, 03:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 12:10:58 -0800, "Walter R."
wrote:

I live in Southern California. In anticipation of promised rain, I applied
400 lbs of fertilizer (15-15-15 granules) to the iceplant and shrubs on my 1
acre lot.

The rains did not materialize and there is no rain in sight for the next 2
weeks. Now the fertilizer granules sit on top of the ground. Do the granules
release the nitrogen into the air without exposure to rain?

No, the nitrogen, potash, and phosphorous are salts that do not
sublime nor lose their effectiveness. This is particularly true of
inorganic fertilizers.

Like
sublimation?

IOW, should I re-apply the fertilizer if and when it looks like rain gain?
For how long is the fertilizer good if left on top of the ground,

Do not consider reapplying fertilizer until another season or at least
rains a dozen times. It is hard to say how long the fertilizer stays
put without a watchful eye. Soil test kits are reasonably priced. It
is often a good idea to alternate inorganic with natural (organic)
fertilizers.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

For a one-acre lot I'd use about 80 pounds. I agree with the others--
400# sounds high.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 23:35:26 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

400 lbs? What is the square footage of the actual garden beds?

He said in his original post he has an acre.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 12:10:58 -0800, Walter R. wrote:
I live in Southern California. In anticipation of promised rain, I applied
400 lbs of fertilizer (15-15-15 granules) to the iceplant and shrubs on my 1
acre lot.

//snip

400 lbs fertilizer/43560sq ft/acre = 0.0092 lbs fertilizer per sq ft
= 9.2 lbs per 1000 sq ft

each component was 15% by weight, so you've applied 1.38 lbs of N, P and K
per 1000 sq ft so you're just barely under the recommended maximum amount
of N to prevent burning of turf. Most groundcovers want about 1/2 lb
N per thousand sq ft per three months, and half that of P and K (barring
a soil analysis that will tell you what you actually need!).

Chances are your ice plant is going to get tall, overgrown, and may have
more disease problems and more "melting out".

IOW, should I re-apply the fertilizer if and when it looks like rain gain?
For how long is the fertilizer good if left on top of the ground,

Stop right there, do not pass go, do not collect any fertilizer until you've
had a proper soil analysis done. By applying so much fertilizer, you may
have contributed to soil salinization (a big problem in S. California),
water pollution (N washing into local streams), etc., etc.

Please get a soil analysis and follow the recommendations. Most California
soils have adequate K without any additional being added. P is often too high
already to be needed in areas where the soil has been fertilized before. N
is unstable, due to soil nitrogen cycles, and is often the only macronutrient
needed.
http://www.visionlearning.com/librar...wer.php?mid=98

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/TOOLS/TUR...EP/soilan.html
http://www.aces.edu/department/crd/p...s/ANR-743.html
http://www.sfc.ucdavis.edu/Pubs/Fami...ing/tests.html
Old 10-02-2007, 01:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

400 lbs? What is the square footage of the actual garden beds?

He said in his original post he has an acre.

Right, but without one more piece of information, I considered that data
incomplete. The data is now complete. You know that.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Walter R." wrote in message
There are no garden beds. It's like an informal park, with grass, trees,
weeds, shrubs (lots of junipers) and iceplant. Plus an orange grove of 10
trees.

Does 400 lb sound like too much? Maybe I can save some money. The stuff is
growing voluptuously.

Who (or what) told you to use that much fertilizer?