Old 10-02-2007, 12:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
Walter R. Walter R. is offline

Default Does fertilizer lose effectiveness?

There are no garden beds. It's like an informal park, with grass, trees,
weeds, shrubs (lots of junipers) and iceplant. Plus an orange grove of 10
trees.

Does 400 lb sound like too much? Maybe I can save some money. The stuff is
growing voluptuously.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Walter R." wrote in message
I live in Southern California. In anticipation of promised rain, I applied
400 lbs of fertilizer (15-15-15 granules) to the iceplant and shrubs on my
1 acre lot.

The rains did not materialize and there is no rain in sight for the next
2 weeks. Now the fertilizer granules sit on top of the ground. Do the
granules release the nitrogen into the air without exposure to rain? Like
sublimation?

IOW, should I re-apply the fertilizer if and when it looks like rain
gain? For how long is the fertilizer good if left on top of the ground,

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

400 lbs? What is the square footage of the actual garden beds?