Old 08-02-2007, 09:16 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com George.com is offline

Default Does fertilizer lose effectiveness?

"Walter R." wrote in message
I live in Southern California. In anticipation of promised rain, I applied
400 lbs of fertilizer (15-15-15 granules) to the iceplant and shrubs on my

1
acre lot.

The rains did not materialize and there is no rain in sight for the next 2
weeks. Now the fertilizer granules sit on top of the ground. Do the

granules
release the nitrogen into the air without exposure to rain? Like
sublimation?

I am not sure however it will likely lose its flavour if left on the bed
post overnight.

rob