Old 10-02-2007, 10:17 PM posted to austin.gardening
jOhN jOhN is offline

Default Squirrels driving me crazy

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
(Linda) wrote:

Any suggestions on how to keep the critters out of my potted plants on
the patio? They destroy the plants while hiding and/or digging up their
treasures and make a huge mess. They can even get into hanging pots.

Did I hear something about using Tabasco Sauce? Sprinkling it around on
the dirt??
All suggestions gratefully considered ;¬)

Cayenne is commonly used but I've personally never tried it.

I use 2" mesh chicken wire to keep them from digging,
and rat poison in suet cages to keep them from chewing up my greenhouses
and my siding.

They are horribly destructive.

I used to think they were cute........

I quit using rat poison for rats and mice in order to prevent predators
from getting hold of the poisoned squirrels and causing multiple deaths
throughout the food chain. I also keep my bird and squirrel feed in
sealed containers to keep the other critters out. I now use rat snakes
for the rats and mice - they are on the job 24/7 and do a better job.

Try looking for a less indiscriminate control method. How about a bunch
of cats ;-)