Old 09-02-2007, 10:58 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Squirrels driving me crazy

Any suggestions on how to keep the critters out of my potted plants on
the patio? They destroy the plants while hiding and/or digging up their
treasures and make a huge mess. They can even get into hanging pots.

Did I hear something about using Tabasco Sauce? Sprinkling it around on
the dirt??
All suggestions gratefully considered ;¬)

Old 10-02-2007, 02:34 PM posted to austin.gardening

Cayenne pepper in the birdseed worked for a while.

With hope and heart,
Kathleen

--
He Himself is the fuel our spirits were designed to burn,
or the food our spirits were designed to feed on. There is no other.

----

Old 10-02-2007, 09:56 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 08:57:41 -0600, Omelet
wrote:

Cayenne is commonly used but I've personally never tried it.

I use 2" mesh chicken wire to keep them from digging,
and rat poison in suet cages to keep them from chewing up my greenhouses
and my siding.

They are horribly destructive.

I used to think they were cute........

Do they eat the poison? If they do and you are intentionally killing
them, how dare you write Om or Peace on anything. That, if it's the
case, is disgusting and should be stopped. I find you vulgar.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:43 AM posted to austin.gardening

Well, I don't have any bird feeders out. I did that up in eastern
Oregon; enjoyed it for a while but then I had so many eating (quail &
doves besides sparrows, finches, etc) that feed got expensive. Plus you
need to clean and disinfect feeders and keep a source of clean water
handy for the birds. Had different feeders up with the small black seed
for the goldfinches when they came through.

Here in San Antonio I live in a mobile home park. I've never seen a
mouse but they are probably around as my neighbor sees snakes in her
yard and they've got to be eating something! There are also feral cats,
but they must not chase these squirrels...??

I think trying the chicken wire will be worth a shot. Won't look so
great, but if it works, okay.

Thanks for your replies.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:38 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 22:17:47 GMT, jOhN
wrote:

I quit using rat poison for rats and mice in order to prevent predators
from getting hold of the poisoned squirrels and causing multiple deaths
throughout the food chain. I also keep my bird and squirrel feed in
sealed containers to keep the other critters out. I now use rat snakes
for the rats and mice - they are on the job 24/7 and do a better job.

Try looking for a less indiscriminate control method. How about a bunch
of cats ;-)

When I moved into this house and it was new the only thing on this
land was a house, three ancient live oaks, a mesquite and a hackberry.
I'm here now seven years and have a Certified WWF Backyard Habitat, as
well as the same from Texas and more than half all plants need to be
native species. I have more like ninety percent natives.

I am fully aware of how rich in life my property is. We've seen
countless rat snakes, corn snakes, mice, rats, opossum, birds and even
rare cedar waxwings and the squirrels take a bite, one bite out of
every perfect peach on the tree! I am more than happy to host them.
When I eat that peach, I remove ample flesh from it where the animal
bite is and I eat it. Big deal.

As for damage, if people would inspect their house top to bottom they
can easily prevent these animals from getting in the roof, nesting,
etc. Seal all ways in, including the dryer vent, any air vents with
mesh. Oh, work, never mind. Put the poison in the suet feeder. Good
idea.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:46 AM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I refinanced my morgage to pay for siding my house.

I'm glad YOU could afford to throw away $16,000.00 for a bunch of
destructive rodents.

I do like wildlife for the most part, but I have my financial limits.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:22 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 23:46:03 -0600, Omelet
wrote:

[...]

If squirrels ate your house it's because you continue to kill and are
having karmic seeds ripening from having done this before, over and
over and over and over.

The difference between me and you is that I wouldn't ever consider
killing an animal. If the entire house was wrath with them I'd figure
out a way to curtail their presence. Killing would never, never,
never be a consideration.

You call them rodents, fine. Every life is precious. Are you one of
those who classifies people too? Do you use the term wetbacks? The
"N" word to describe African Americans? Big nose to describe Jews?

I sat and watched a female squirrel tear apart a cushion for one of my
outdoor furniture pieces. Both my husband and I were happy to supply
her with nesting material. In this sterile world of clean, no leaves
on anything, crisply mown lawns, perfectly edged, way too green from
way too much fertilizer, not to mention the atrazine in the water; I'm
perfectly happy to provide shelter for these "rodents" as you
hatefully call them.

If you are writing OM on something I suggest you stop using it. Do
you know what OM MANI PADME HUNG means? Your tag line should be
something which reflects you, not something which reflects the utter
non violent Buddhist community. Rethink please.