Old 25-03-2003, 11:44 PM
George Shirley

Default Shumway orders, anyone?

I had problems three years ago with Shumway sending me the wrong seeds
and refusing to make good on the order. That's when I decided not to
order from them again.

I don't own stock in these companies but have always gotten what I
ordered and in a reasonable time frame: Pinetree Seeds, Johnny's Select
Seed, and Burpee's. All have a web presence.

George

Glenna Rose wrote:

I'd like to hear what kind of turnaround people have had with seed orders
this spring.

On March 7th, I placed an order with R. H. Shumway's and was told two
items were backordered and would ship later. I was not told of any delay
for the remainder of the shipment. Finally today (March 25th), I called
about the status of my order.

I was told they were "three weeks behind and it will be next week before
your order is shipped." She very generously will "expedite" my order
after I told her I was given no indication at the time of ordering there
was any delay and certainly not that shipment wouldn't even happen for
three or four weeks.

Perhaps I've been very spoiled by all other merchandise I've ordered by
mail, always receiving it within a week, usually three days. I'm not
accustomed to the casual attitude about an order not having been shipped
over two weeks after it was ordered (and being told it will be another
week before it's shipped and 7 to 10 days for delivery!). Geez, by the
time it gets here, I can buy half-grown plants at the nursery. Honestly,
in past years, some of my tomato plants have already been in the ground
prior to the end of March, and most of my plants by mid-April (harvested
broccoli and cauliflower in June and tomato plants six feet tall with no
special care).

It may have been wiser to drive to Territorial Seed Company which is about
150 miles due south.

I've always purchased seeds locally and not by mail. Is it common to wait
several weeks before your merchandise is even shipped?

Glenna