Old 11-02-2007, 04:38 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Squirrels driving me crazy

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 22:17:47 GMT, jOhN
wrote:

I quit using rat poison for rats and mice in order to prevent predators
from getting hold of the poisoned squirrels and causing multiple deaths
throughout the food chain. I also keep my bird and squirrel feed in
sealed containers to keep the other critters out. I now use rat snakes
for the rats and mice - they are on the job 24/7 and do a better job.

Try looking for a less indiscriminate control method. How about a bunch
of cats ;-)

When I moved into this house and it was new the only thing on this
land was a house, three ancient live oaks, a mesquite and a hackberry.
I'm here now seven years and have a Certified WWF Backyard Habitat, as
well as the same from Texas and more than half all plants need to be
native species. I have more like ninety percent natives.

I am fully aware of how rich in life my property is. We've seen
countless rat snakes, corn snakes, mice, rats, opossum, birds and even
rare cedar waxwings and the squirrels take a bite, one bite out of
every perfect peach on the tree! I am more than happy to host them.
When I eat that peach, I remove ample flesh from it where the animal
bite is and I eat it. Big deal.

As for damage, if people would inspect their house top to bottom they
can easily prevent these animals from getting in the roof, nesting,
etc. Seal all ways in, including the dryer vent, any air vents with
mesh. Oh, work, never mind. Put the poison in the suet feeder. Good
idea.