Old 11-02-2007, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
R M. Watkin R M. Watkin is offline

Default Winter garden broccoli question

"Jay" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have been growing a winter garden made up of collards, broccoli,
cabbage and cauliflower in a raised garden bed. My question concerns
my broccoli. I harvested the broccoli heads last december and
thoroughly enjoyed them due to the enhanced taste over store bought. I
have allowed the plants to continue to grow and they produced yellow
flowers and finally went to seed. The plants themselves continue to
look hearty through 20s degree (F) temperatures and are beginning to
show signs of new heads forming where the leaves join the main stalk.
Will the new heads continue to develop throughout the spring and
result in a second harvest?

Hi All.
This is quite normal for Broccoli, if you keep taking the heads of the plant
it will keep producing more small heads untill the plant becomes exausted.
Hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.