Old 07-02-2007, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Winter garden broccoli question

I have been growing a winter garden made up of collards, broccoli,
cabbage and cauliflower in a raised garden bed. My question concerns
my broccoli. I harvested the broccoli heads last december and
thoroughly enjoyed them due to the enhanced taste over store bought. I
have allowed the plants to continue to grow and they produced yellow
flowers and finally went to seed. The plants themselves continue to
look hearty through 20s degree (F) temperatures and are beginning to
show signs of new heads forming where the leaves join the main stalk.
Will the new heads continue to develop throughout the spring and
result in a second harvest?

Old 09-02-2007, 01:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Usually, If you harvested in December, and side shoots have been
allowed to seed, the remaining side shoots will be thin and scraggly.
If you don't need the space for something else, give it a try.You can
always use the little shoots like broccoli raab.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Jay" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have been growing a winter garden made up of collards, broccoli,
cabbage and cauliflower in a raised garden bed. My question concerns
my broccoli. I harvested the broccoli heads last december and
thoroughly enjoyed them due to the enhanced taste over store bought. I
have allowed the plants to continue to grow and they produced yellow
flowers and finally went to seed. The plants themselves continue to
look hearty through 20s degree (F) temperatures and are beginning to
show signs of new heads forming where the leaves join the main stalk.
Will the new heads continue to develop throughout the spring and
result in a second harvest?

Hi All.
This is quite normal for Broccoli, if you keep taking the heads of the plant
it will keep producing more small heads untill the plant becomes exausted.
Hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.

Broccoli-cabbage question feedback George.com United Kingdom 3 29-10-2007 06:26 AM
Winter garden broccoli question. Jay[_2_] Gardening 1 07-02-2007 10:09 PM
Broccoli question FDR Edible Gardening 2 06-07-2006 12:58 AM
Broccoli Raab Question Compostman Gardening 2 23-05-2005 07:28 PM
Broccoli flowers Chris Edible Gardening 1 16-02-2003 02:51 AM