Old 12-02-2007, 01:46 AM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default Which ground covers will spread fast?

On Feb 11, 4:02 pm, wrote:
On Feb 10, 8:53 am, "
wrote:

Hello,

Which of these potential ground covers will spread fast? Which will
take over grass? (Yes, I want them to do both!)

lobelia
irish moss
scotch moss
baby tears
alyssum
boston ivy
virginia creeper
Chrysogonum virginianum golden star
vinca
creeping phlox
Ceratostigma plumbaginoides

conditions:

USDA zone 4/5 (old reckoning)
USDA zone 6 (new reckoning)
AHS heat zone 4/5
Sunset zone 43

dark organic/clay soil
half shade, half sun

Thank you!!

Ted Shoemaker
certified Gray Thumb

Lobelia and alyssum are annuals and I wouldn't reccomend
irish & scotch moss ans baby tears need some shade, a lot of water and
are slow
phlox is slow and not aggressive
vinca is aggressive almost to the point of ivy wich can be a noctious
weed
boston ivy is decidious

my suggestion would behttp://toptropicals.com/pics/garden/m1/bel/
myoporum_parvifolium2359.jpghttp://www.nnvesj.org/Ed10/DefSpace.htm
This is a good plant and easy to grow. If you tip prune it it will
spread much faster

Yes Myoporum is all that. Unfortunately it will not make it in zone 6
winters.
Neither will Baby Tears.
Irish and Scotch moss are the same plant: Sagina subulata
Not many groundcovers are going to out compete grass.
Lamium, maybe.
Emilie

Emilie
NorCal