Old 10-02-2007, 04:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Which ground covers will spread fast?

Hello,

Which of these potential ground covers will spread fast? Which will
take over grass? (Yes, I want them to do both!)

lobelia
irish moss
scotch moss
baby tears
alyssum
boston ivy
virginia creeper
Chrysogonum virginianum golden star
vinca
creeping phlox
Ceratostigma plumbaginoides

conditions:

USDA zone 4/5 (old reckoning)
USDA zone 6 (new reckoning)
AHS heat zone 4/5
Sunset zone 43

dark organic/clay soil
half shade, half sun

Thank you!!

Ted Shoemaker
certified Gray Thumb

Old 10-02-2007, 06:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
[...]

On my property Virginia creeper from your list is quite effective at
spreading over territory. Vinca is less so but at least offers some blue
flowers. But the winner here is English ivy which I have to treat like
the weed that it is but spraying it with "industrial-strength"
herbicides scarcely inconvenience it and manually ripping it out by the
roots is nearly impossible.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 12-02-2007, 12:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 10, 8:53 am, "
wrote:
[...]

Lobelia and alyssum are annuals and I wouldn't reccomend
irish & scotch moss ans baby tears need some shade, a lot of water and
are slow
phlox is slow and not aggressive
vinca is aggressive almost to the point of ivy wich can be a noctious
weed
boston ivy is decidious

my suggestion would be http://toptropicals.com/pics/garden/m1/bel/
myoporum_parvifolium2359.jpg
http://www.nnvesj.org/Ed10/DefSpace.htm
This is a good plant and easy to grow. If you tip prune it it will
spread much faster

Old 12-02-2007, 01:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 11, 4:02 pm, wrote:
On Feb 10, 8:53 am, "
wrote:

[...]

Yes Myoporum is all that. Unfortunately it will not make it in zone 6
winters.
Neither will Baby Tears.
Irish and Scotch moss are the same plant: Sagina subulata
Not many groundcovers are going to out compete grass.
Lamium, maybe.
Emilie

Emilie
NorCal

Old 15-02-2007, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 10, 11:53 am, "
wrote:
[...]

Virgina creeper and Boston ivy are fast growers and can tolerare the
partial shade conditions you have.

Good Luck

http://www.gardenlistings.com

Old 17-02-2007, 05:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 15 Feb 2007 12:07:36 -0800, "riverbirch" wrote:

On Feb 10, 11:53 am, "
wrote:
[...]

But my Boston Ivy goes dormant in "winter". *

Wouldn't you want full-time duty?

*I'm in So Calif coastal.

Persephone
Old 21-02-2007, 05:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 16, 11:48 pm, Persephone wrote:

But my Boston Ivy goes dormant in "winter". *

Wouldn't you want full-time duty?

One of the appeals of Boston Ivy is the fact that it's deciduous. In
autumn it's a brilliant red.
Since I live in Wisconsin (where winter, they say, is the best 8
months of the year), I don't care what the plants look like under the
snow.

That applies to the baby tears and other plants in the original post,
too. If they brown off, will they revive in the spring? That's
okay. Or will they self-sow? That's okay, too. Are they gone
forever? That is the undesirable situation.

Thanks for all replies.

Ted Shoemaker
Zone 4/5 (old reckoning)
Zone 6 (new reckoning)

[IMG] code is On

MulchHold to contain and maintain Ground covers xaox Gardening 1 24-05-2006 08:51 PM
Animals which spread the seeds of Cascabela Thevetia [email protected] Plant Science 3 12-05-2005 02:23 PM
ground covers paghat Gardening 1 29-03-2005 07:44 PM
shady ground covers Jody Lawns 10 15-07-2004 06:05 PM
chinese wolfberry and other edible ground covers sam Gardening 0 26-05-2003 10:08 AM