Old 12-02-2007, 02:03 AM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default Shade and Butterfly loving plants and flowers

On Feb 11, 2:51 pm, "Butterrose" wrote:
Hello:

I live in CA, Zone 9. I will be helping a friend this spring plant in
her backyard and I will need to include some shade loving plants as
well as we want to attract butterflys.

She has a large redwood and a large palm tree in the area we want to
work in. The area does get a lot of sahde but some sun.

Suggestions, ideas?

Thanks!

Hi Rose
It is going to be difficult to attract butterflies into to the shade
of a redwood,
as BFs are sun lovers. Therefore, most of the flowers they love are
also.
Anyway, here's a list of things in my zone 9, NorCal garden that BFs
like.
You can see what you can do with them. (Don't forget containers which
can be moved in and out of the sun)
Buddleia, Butterfly Bush (can take some shade)
Lantana
Any flat, daisy-like flower: Zinnia, Black eyed Susan, Aster,
Echinacea,
Cosmos etc
Verbena
Phlox