Old 12-02-2007, 07:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robbo Robbo is offline

Default Rodents and their (safe) demise

Anyone in URG had any success in eradicating dear old Roland Rat from their
garden *without* resorting to rodenticide?

There are several cats in my area and I *really* don't want a knock on
effect of Rat poison if they get to a carcass etc.
I also have a dog, who's naturally inquisitive about "roadkill" and the like
so I am looking for a more humane way of despatching these little buggers
before the veg patch gets it's first seedlings soon.

I had some success with a squirrel trap, but it had to return to it's
rightful owner. Redistribution of the "I eat anything you leave lying
around" rodents was working quite well..... Until they bred and now we have
a few too many. Shooting them is my neighbours resolution, but I don't want
to sit on a rotating stool doing Japser Carrot impressions late into the
night.

Local council aren't too bothered as we are adjacent to a farm and it's the
"norm" around these parts generally.